Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What if the nickname doesn't catch on?

My husband and I have a few girl names that we both like and I'm fine using the one he really loves if I can use the nickname I like for it (there is meaning behind the nn but it's not common). I don't hate the name or anything, and I like it almost as much as the other names, I just can't see myself using the full name much. I can picture it on an older girl/ woman, but not so much on a little girl.

He would use the full name only (he's not into nicknames) so I'm a little concerned that the nickname might not catch on and I will regret using the full name. Thoughts?
    Last edited by tct1219; August 28th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Hmm...
    I don't think I can answer the question as I don't know the name....!!

I mean if the name is a Elizabeth and you like the nickname Lizzie then yes that nickname will stick and your child will be known as Lizzie by everyone. But if the name is Madeleine and you like the nickname option Elle then most likely it won't stick and your child be be known as Maddie.

@tori101 It's Marguerite! I just know how so many berries love the name and thought it might skew things a bit. The nickname begins with M but is not related to the name and is not popular here so I don't want that to change how people feel about the general situation. I just think since my husband would be calling her the full name, it might seem like people should only call her by that.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Might I ask what the nn is?

I think if you consistently call her by the nn, and intoduce her by her nn, then most people will use the nn you want. You might have to remind people here and there that although her name is Marguerite, she goes by ________.
    |Penelope Winter Rose | Alexander Gideon Delayne | Luna Aurora Belle | William Owen Emrys | Liliana Tallulah Grace | Micah Isaac James | Dahlia Winter Carys | Elijah Samuel Leon | Coraline Lavinia Jane | Jasper Everett Greer | Gianna Francesca Maryse | August River Jordan | Magnolia Gwyneira Hesper | Silas John Paul | Anastasia Beatrix Pearl | Leland Samuel Delayne | Artemis Elektra Victoria | Lachlan Isaiah Rhys | Arcadia Callista Maeve|

I think if the nickname isn't natural to the full name and both parents aren't using it, it might seem like others aren't supposed to use the nickname, like it is a pet name between you and her. I guess you could introduce her as Marguerite, we call her Millie (or whatever it is) to encourage use of the nn