Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ideas for sibling to Julia with mn Dana?

Not pg, but getting ready to TTC #2. My DD's name is Julia Catherine (thanks Nameberry for help with that one)... Our LM starts with N and is 3 syllables. We have a boy's name in mind, but am daydreaming about another girl's name...
    Any suggestions? We want classic, but not as common as Oliva, Emma, etc. My MIL's name is Dana, so I was thinking if we had a second girl, we'd give her MIL's mn, since DD's mn is after my mother.

Basically, we need a 1 or 3 syallable first name that will go with the mn Dana and sound okay with sibling Julia! Thanks in advance!

A couple on the "maybe" list:
    Evelyn Dana (too popular right now?)
    Caroline Dana
    Victoria Dana (but I don't like the nn Vicky or Tori, so...)
    Last edited by indecisive; August 27th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Mom to Julia Catherine

Evelyn Dana is perfect! Flow is great and I really like Julia and Evelyn for sisters.

You could use the nn Tia for Victoria. Also, if your having trouble finding a name to go with Dana, I would like to suggest Danica or Diana as alternatives to honor your MIL. I would avoid Evelyn and Caroline since they are both 3 syls and end in n like your ln.

Charlotte Dana
    Helena Dana
    Louisa Dana
    Abigail Dana
    Alice Dana
    Eleanor Dana
    Felicity Dana
    Francesca Dana
    Lorelei Dana
    Margaret Dana
    Miriam Dana
    Naomi Dana
    Pearl Dana
    Rosemary Dana
    Last edited by kashed22; August 27th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

I think Dana goes best with a first name that doesn't end in "a", so I like Evelyn and Catherine best from your list. I also think it flows best with three-syllable names with the stress on the first syllable.

What do you think of these?

Madeleine Dana
    Marian Dana
    Marilyn Dana
    Mallory Dana
    Margaret Dana
    Cecily Dana
    Genevieve Dana
    Vivienne Dana

Quote Originally Posted by kashed22 View Post
    You could use the nn Tia for Victoria. Also, if your having trouble finding a name to go with Dana, I would like to suggest Danica or Diana as alternatives to honor your MIL. I would avoid Evelyn and Caroline since they are both 3 syls and end in n like your ln.

Charlotte Dana
    Helena Dana
    Louisa Dana
    Abigail Dana
    Alice Dana
    Eleanor Dana
    Felicity Dana
    Francesca Dana
    Lorelei Dana
    Margaret Dana
    Miriam Dana
    Naomi Dana
    Pearl Dana
    Rosemary Dana
    I just saw Rory as a nn for Victoria and I do like that... thanks though for the suggestion of Tia. Hmm... that's a really good point about our last name starting with an "N" and Evelyn ending with an "n" - now I'm remembering DH didn't like a number of names for that reason. Also, I'm realizing that any first name ending in lyn is out because the last syllable in our lastname is prounced "lyn" (even though it's spelled "line"). Darn, I love Evelyn, but that sounds ridiculous now that I think about it. Caroline might be out, but not Carolyn... but I agree we should probably try to avoid the "n" sound at the end if possible.

I think maybe using Danica or Diana is a good idea... though using Dana outright would be my first choice.
    I'll add Louisa, Eleanor and Lorelei to the list. (I really like Alice, but a good friend's daughter is named Alice).

Quote Originally Posted by mountains_and_miro View Post
    I think Dana goes best with a first name that doesn't end in "a", so I like Evelyn and Catherine best from your list. I also think it flows best with three-syllable names with the stress on the first syllable.

I think I agree. I love names ending in "a", but worry that another name like that would be too matchy with Julia anyway.

What do you think of these?

Madeleine Dana Have to avoid end in a lyn sound
    Marian Dana Have to avoid ending in an n
    Marilyn Dana Have to avoid ending in an n
    Mallory Dana Reminds me of the girl in the Babysitter's Club books... not sure.
    Margaret Dana Like it, but DH had a dog named Maggie and I don't like Meg as a nn... so not sure
    Cecily Dana Don't care for it
    Genevieve Dana Don't care for it
    Vivienne DanaReally like it, but DH had a long-term relationship with a Vivienne before me... so no.

Thanks so much for the input/suggestions.
    Last edited by indecisive; August 27th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Mom to Julia Catherine