Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    How about to bridge his and your name styles, going for a more current/in style name with a "retro" nickname? I really like Amelia with the nickname of Amy (ETA: I now saw that Amy isn't an option in your case). Or the other way around, with a retro full name and current nickname? An example is I know of a Melissa and Michelle who each go by Mia.
    Last edited by namefan; August 27th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

I love the name Brenna! One of my long term favourites. I like Alyssa and Natalie with Brenna and Mason. I also like Jillian. What about spelling it Gillian? I find people are less inclined to use Jill when its the G spelling... but just my experience

Some other suggestions that may fit both styles:
    Cara
    Kennedy
    Meredith
    Julia
    Emily
    Courtney
    Kirsten
    Audrey
    Keira
    Paige
    Sydney
    Holly
    Amber

Rachel and Natalie are lovely

I haven't looked through all the replies, but here are some other names that might be a little "dated," but I love:
    Rebecca
    Anna
    Hannah
    Julia
    Claire
    Abigail
    Sarah
    Jane

And, for reasons I can't explain... Mallory

Quote Originally Posted by katemcnamelover View Post
    So my husband and I are 10 years apart in age, and his proves difficult when trying to agree on names! Some names he suggests I have to veto as I have known soo many all my life, and vice versa. He only ever suggests names like Ashley, Lindsay, Brianna, Marissa... Nothing wrong with these names but I can think of 5-10 of each! My style is a bit more old fashioned (Evelyn, Nora, Caroline, etc) but I'm trying to open myself up to his style and see if we can find a diamond in the rough. (My daughters name Brenna came from this compromise as well, and I do love it!)

Some names I feel "fit" this category that I like:
    Rachel
    Hayley/Haley
    Natalie
    Valerie
    Tara

These are names that I know many would find boring or dated but neither of us have any associations with them.. so in our minds, they're refreshing. (Though my husband isn't as into Valerie or Tara as I thought he might be...)

Can you tell me what your opinions on any of these names are or, better yet, think of more names that would fall into our common ground? Tall order I know.. Thanks!
    Aaah yes tough!

I really like Rachel, Valerie, and Tara. Natalie is fine but slightly beige.

Here are some suggestions that might appeal to both of you:
    Claire 'Brenna & Claire'
    Sophie 'Brenna & Sophie' I prefer Sophia but I think Sophie would appeal more to you too
    Carmen 'Brenna & Carmen'
    Julia 'Brenna & Julia'
    Sarah 'Brenna & Sarah'
    Holly 'Brenna & Holly'
    Katie 'Brenna & Katie' I prefer Kate but I think Katie would appeal more to you too
    Amber 'Brenna & Amber'
    Gemma 'Brenna & Gemma'
    Emma 'Brenna & Emma'
    Samantha 'Brenna & Samantha'
    Allison 'Brenna & Allison'
    Bridget 'Brenna & Bridget'
    Christina 'Brenna & Christina'

I really like Natalie and Vallierie. Natalie is a variation on my name, Natasha, that I used in school sometimes. My mom almost named me Rachel, and I am very glad she didn't. I think what you should do is have your husband go through and find some classic names he would like the nicknames of that are cutesy and dated enough for him and get him to focus more on the nickname so that you get your classic name. My husband and I are from different cultures, so we came to a middle ground by looking at Royal British names.

Also there is a social security database that shows the top names by year, so looking for something around his grade school decade will no doubt yield some more ideas if you choose them and they are verified to have been known in his time of growing up.