Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Elentari/Ffion.

Question Elentari/Ffion.

Elentari intrigues me! I really, really like it, but I don't know much about it. Can someone inform me? And how exactly do you say it (I want to make sure I'm saying it correctly)? Also, what do you think about it?

What's your opinion of Ffion? I really like! I love the way it looks, sounds, and feels! I don't know why, but the letter F always feels so whimsical to me (not with every F name of course, but yea). The one thing I don't like is how popular it is in Wales. I know that shouldn't bother me because I don't live in Wales, but yea, it does! ^_^

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    twenty, virgo, college student,
    lover of nature, fairy tales, and anything fantasy˙·٠(◡‿◡✿)

Elentari is one of the names of Varda, the goddess of the heavens, in Tolkien's realm. The name means queen of the stars. It's pronounced el-en-TAH-ree. It would be very weird for someone who's not in love with Tolkien's works to use this name.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

I don't know anything about the names, but from first glance I would pronounce it Elen-tar-ee. I live in the U.S. and although I like the sound of the name Ffion, I would only use a single F (Fion). The other F looks like it's there for that "unique" factor. Again, I have no knowledge of these names so take it all with a grain of salt.
    2004 xy- Orion Johnathan, 2006 xy- Sage Elysium, 2010 xx- Cerridwen Willow, 2011 xy- Rowan Audric
    Dec. 2013 xx- ????

Mandolin, Eve, Maeve, Fiona, Guinevere, Scarlett, Maiwenn, Carys, Sinead

Ffion is the 14th most popular girls name in Wales. It is the third most popular Welsh name on the girls list behind: Seren and Megan. I wouldn't be bothered by the popularity. Chances are if you don't go to Wales then she won't ever meet anyone with her name. I think it would be nice for her to have a place where her name is more common. Every chilld goes through the feeling that their name is too popular or too strange or simply too too. If she ever wanted to feel like her name was common and accepted, she'd have Wales. I can't express how much it helps to know that you aren't the only one. (This coming from an Irmgard.) Ffion feels very magical and whimsical.

Elentari is a pretty name. I don't think people are going to think it's strange if you aren't familiar with Tolkien's realm. Most people will assume that it's made up, which compared to the amount of history that Ffion contains, it is. It was made up by a wonderful author with a wonderful meaning.

Both names are beautiful. Tough choice!

I've been looking into Tolkien's work lately, and I plan to read his books! Thanks for the replies. ^_^
    twenty, virgo, college student,
    lover of nature, fairy tales, and anything fantasy˙·٠(◡‿◡✿)