Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    We started our kids at six months. We have a family history of food allergies so our pediatrician wanted us to delay introducing food for as long as possible. I've been fortunate enough to exclusively breastfed both of my children and my goal was to make it a year. My son weaned at 19 months and I'm still nursing my daughter who is 14 months. We luckily didn't have to use any formula (so expensive!) but did introduce cow's milk at a year. We also did the baby led weaning approach where they fed themselves.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

Wow thanks for all this input! And thanks for the congrats My sons been the biggest blessing in my life so far, and he's not even here yet!

Especially as I have no experience in this, it probably is best to just take it one day at a time. I know breastfeeding can be quite difficult, but I'm feeling determined to follow through with it and overcome any issues that may arise. (Maybe I've also been following too many facebook pages like Birth Without Fear and The Leaky B@@B where people overcome issues like tongue ties, trouble latching, and many other things). I imagine Archer will chose whats best for him in regards to time. And that makes sense actually that a toddler would lose interest. They are so active! I'd not thought of that

For adding table foods, thats a great saying to put it by! "food is fun before one". Cause breastmilk definitely is the main source of nutrients and such before one year old anyway. And "table food is like desert". Great way to think of it! Though that makes sense too that it does supplement their diet with extras they may be needing. And that makes a lot of sense too how cereals are normally introduced for iron levels and such. And it makes sense to just see when baby feels he's ready rather then "oh he's six months now, try this!!" It comforts me to think of just having a window rather then "this is when". Somewhere between 6-9 mo he can start tasting solids. (oh, and I'm aware of the whole juice issue. I don't plan on giving him juice at all really. I personally don't care for any juices anyway so theres never any at home. Maybe when he's older I can, but I imagine I'd not think to give him any being I don't like it).

I think as a first time soon to be mom, I may or may not be reading into a lot of things too much! I'm so nervous and want to plan, but some things really can't be planned. I also have a small support system and I've not heard a lot of encouraging things on breastfeeding. Its frustrating because my man and I decided its whats right for us yet many "loving" friends have been trashing us for it.

tarynkay, thats very unfortunate that that happened to your nephew! I feel as if most children wouldn't have that issue being its not an uncommon thing to do. Not that many years ago it was traditional for all babies to be breastfeed exclusively for the first year. I think it was in the 40's where it became a "developmental achievement" when your child ate table foods. I've no idea if before that time people suffered more food allergies, I've not seen any research of that. I think it depends on the child, some are more picky than others. And he must have just been particular for nursing.

thatkathryngirl, I think I will send you a message! I'm not sure if I'll have time right away this morning, but I definitely have questions!

Again, thank you for all these replies!! I really appreciated the advice and read through them all and gave them thought

@littlemissmariss

Have you tried contacting your local La Leche League or similar organization? It can be helpful to find a formal support network to help you through the rough patches. And you can start attending meeting now, before the baby is born. Women who love breastfeeding REALLY love it and REALLY want to help others succeed at it. Seek them out!

That said, please don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out for you! Feeding your baby formula is not a failure on your part. There have always been women unable to breastfeed and those babies were either fed by others or given thin gruels or animal milks. We have much better options nowadays, and if you need reassurance about that at any point, here is a link to an extremely comprehensive study by the World Health Organization: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...505307_eng.pdf

Babies should not be relying on solids for nutrition, definitely. But I think that pretty much throughout the history of man, babies have sat on parents laps during meal times and had tastes of things. This is what our grandmothers all said, that they knew the baby was ready for food when he started grabbing handfuls of mashed potatoes. Food should be fun for babies, absolutely. Most start to get really curious around six months and they want to get in the fun, too. Eating teaching lots of skills- hand eye coordination, pincer grasp, etc.

I totally agree with the post by saracita00! I m reading all these "No, no don't do this and that, it is bad bad bad!" But I breastfed for a year and with my Dr.s advice I started giving my daughter solids at 4 months- she did wonderful! Every baby is different, and you'll know when the time is right. Just listen to the Pediatrician- not these posts

Good luck with everything. My top tip? When you are more exhausted than you've ever been, every single baby boomer you know will tell you that the baby is hungry and wants solids. My girls were both breast fed then solids added in at six months. One slept through at ten weeks. The other slept through at two years. The non-sleeper still wouldn't sleep after a three course meal aged 25 months. She wasn't hungry, she just wasn't sleepy.

Don't let well meaning menopausal ladies make you worry your child is starving. If it's growing well and your doctor is happy, solids aren't the answer before six months or so.

Enjoy your baby whatever feeding method works for you.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.