Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm a mom of two, a three year old boy and a nineteen month old girl. With both my children I fed them breast milk exclusively for the first 6 months. (I never supplemented but I did give them bottles of pumped breast milk occasionally. I know many moms who exclusively breast fed, and then were very frustrated when their children wouldn’t take a bottle as they got older. My children went back and forth between breast and bottle very easily.

At six months I started introducing baby cereals and homemade baby food. With my son I kept him on thin purees for a few months, which really affected his acceptance to solids in negative way. Though he was introduced to a very large variety of healthy foods between 6-12 months, he is now a terrible eater and particularly dislikes meats and most vegetables.

With my daughter I also started introducing foods at 6 months, but I made her food much chunkier, and I also gave her small bits of solid food earlier. I was also a little more relaxed with what she was allowed to eat (my son only got vegetables for the first 2 months, then a few fruits, and I didn’t give him dairy or anything processed until 11 months.) with my daughter I let her experience all food groups between 6-8 months – still healthy foods – but a larger variety, and she now is a much better eater than her brother.

I wouldn’t recommend feeding before 6 months, but I wouldn’t recommend waiting until much after that age either as I would worry about aversions to texture ect.

In both cases for weaning my children I started introducing cow’s milk in a bottle at 11 months. Just one bottle a day at first, then gradually increasing. (I returned to work at 12 months in both cases) As I increased the amount of milk they received in the bottle, the amount they nursed (and in return the amount I produced) gradually decreased. At 12 months my son decided he was done nursing, and at 13 months my daughter decided she was done. In both cases the baby made the decision and the transition was very smooth as they were already comfortable with the bottle, and process was very slow.

Every mom and every baby is different; I never really had a plan with my first, just that I would nurse as long as it worked for us. Luckily it went well, so with my second I hoped to nurse for a year, again, I was lucky and it went well. I am now pregnant with my third, and I plan to follow a similar system again. It works for us, and you and your baby will figure out what works for you.

Know that for many, nursing in the beginning is hard, it can be painful, and if your baby is having trouble nursing, it can be very frustrating, overwhelming, and emotional. It is also very rewarding as time goes on. With my son I saw a lactation consultant at our provincial health center a few times over the first month or two, it was very informative and helpful and I highly recommend it.
    Best of luck to you!

Im curious as well about liquids & if they should have juices when they start food or stick to breastmilk. My daughter is now turning 4 months & I never thought id be ebf esp. Withourt pumping if bf at all to this point. But everything still feels natural & it works so well for both of us that I feel that ill know when its time to stop. When I was pregnant I read so mucj that itd make anyone go crazy & I didnt know I would even bf at the hospital because I wasnt sure how itd go amongst many other variables.. but as of now were both happy & its so easy not to mention quicker if you have a crying baby

Quote Originally Posted by corvet View Post
    Im curious as well about liquids & if they should have juices when they start food or stick to breastmilk. My daughter is now turning 4 months & I never thought id be ebf esp. Withourt pumping if bf at all to this point. But everything still feels natural & it works so well for both of us that I feel that ill know when its time to stop. When I was pregnant I read so mucj that itd make anyone go crazy & I didnt know I would even bf at the hospital because I wasnt sure how itd go amongst many other variables.. but as of now were both happy & its so easy not to mention quicker if you have a crying baby
    Juice is not recomended because of the high sugar content. From 6 months you can start with sips of water with solid meals though
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Doctors now tell you no juice at all. Give whole fruit instead. If you give juice, they will fill up on that and not eat actual food. We don't buy juice, but our son does have the occasional juice at someone else's house. I think of it like cake and cookies- totally fine for a treat, not an everyday kind of thing. When I was a kid though, my mom said that the doctor always asked how much juice we got and would always say, "Give them more juice! Juice is very good for children!" So older people (including my parents) tend to be horrified that we are not filling up the sippie cups with apple juice.

Babies should not have straight cow's milk until after one year- strictly breastmilk or formula before then. You have to watch them, though, some babies can't tolerate cow's milk this soon. My son couldn't tolerate cow's milk until around eighteen months- it gave him diarrhea and vomitting before then. You can give yogurt earlier, our son started eating plain yogurt at six months. Apparently the lactose is fermented and therefore more digestible or something like that.

think the best advice mentioned was from taz about boundaries.

its still different for every kid, but for some - just like others do with bottles or pacifiers - they wont want to stop if you dont introduce other alternatives or if you are a mom that wants the 'baby to decide' when its ready and let it go on so long that it can become a struggle instead of a transition to solids.

boundaries & schedules are the best things for kids, they dont hinder or hurt them - they actually help them grow and mature.

you are the mom, and along with your doctor & partners guidance & help, are the one raising this child and know whats best for you.

*though i must say dont just blindly listen to your doctor - especially if you want a more natural approach - which isnt bad, but some have extreme ideas - the last story i read was about a womens midwife & doctor who both actually left her alone in the middle of labor. things turned out okay, but it wasnt a very pleasant experience to say the least.
    i do not ignore the Rich Text toolbar provided me. i bold, italicize, enlarge, underline and CAPITALIZE for emphasis, individuality, and to capture attention among the endless Arial Standard Size Font that everyone else uses.
    i am not screaming nor will i cosset you. i do this to highlight the most important aspect of my thoughts so they are not lost again in the never ending sea of tiny, black, tempered letters that make up forums everywhere.
    ~*~ i encourage you to do the same ~*~