Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me love Estelle

Hi - I've posted several times and you guys have been very helpful. I was making a "Baby Name Sweet 16" Bracket for my family and friends to comment on (make fun of) my baby name ideas for this tiny woman. I put Estelle on as a middle name for Juniper. It is the only name I have suggested so far that my husband not only didn't veto, but said he likes.

It should be a perfect fit for me, it's in the vintage style, it means Star, which ties in to the time of year she will be born, it starts with E, which can honor my grammy, Edith (husband vetoed Edith itself) and it has nickname possibilities (Essie, Elle).

It doesn't strike me as southern or literary, which are two other things I love, but I should love it. Just don't think I do

Maybe I just need a great middle or some reassurance??? Help, please! At this point, I have no, not one, agreed upon options for this person.
    Luckiest woman in the world!

Mom to Logan Hunter, Savanna Nichole, Avonlea Noel and Arden "Birdie" Mae

Step-mom to Austin Ray, Haley Caroline, Kelsey Suzanne

and expecting someone else December 19!

I'm sorry, but I'm really not fond of it either. I do like Esther though, which has the same meaning and similar positives.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

There's Estella in Dickens' Great Expectations, and Estelle in Sartre's No Exit. I think the little Swedish Princess Estelle is a good reason to like the name.

I like it because it's shimmering and glittering, it sounds just like a star would if it could make little noises. It sounds like sparkle, starshine in a midnight blue sky. All frosty and cold, white snow and beauty. I love Estelle!!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Hi Kala_Way - yeah, Esther was my great-aunt (totally beloved) and that name was vetoed early on. But he likes Estelle. I like it too, just dying to fall in love with whatever we go with. My last one was the victim of a naming crisis and stumbled on to a nickname that suits her very well by chance, so I want to LOVE this name.

Thanks Ottilie! I can't believe I have almost no recollection of Great Expectations and haven't read No Exit, but it's going on my list. I love your explanation of the feeling of that name. This is my last (seriously. for. sure.) baby and I have been focusing on it being my last chance to name someone. I had a dog named Stella Blue (after the song), so I think that was holding me back. But frosty, white, sparkling beauty and baby princesses are tough to beat! Thanks!
    Luckiest woman in the world!

Mom to Logan Hunter, Savanna Nichole, Avonlea Noel and Arden "Birdie" Mae

Step-mom to Austin Ray, Haley Caroline, Kelsey Suzanne

and expecting someone else December 19!

I personally think Estelle sounds VERY Southern, but that's just me. I also think it pairs really nicely with Juniper (which I love, btw). As far as literary connections goes there's an Estelle in No Exit and the author Estelle Blackburn. It's a stretch, but Faulkner married an Estelle.