Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    If I met a little girl named Loki I would find it unintentionally hilarious and assume her parents were woefully ignorant of Norse mythology. While Loki had some gender-bending attributes, he is most consistently a male god. Would you name your son Freya?
    Yep, exactly this.

This whole "names on the wrong gender" thing is getting ridiculous now, and it's only going one way, it's a double standard.
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

I can't roll with Loki being used on children, let alone a girl. It's mainly because the Marvel version is so popular now---he's a supervillain, and you would not name your child "the Joker". Loki also does a lot of awful things in the myths (but I'm not as familiar with Norse mythology as I am with Greek). Loki is a fun, interesting character, but he is not a great namesake and his name is male, despite the whole turning into a milkmaid thing.

I think it could be a super cute nn. (For something like Lorena Katherine).
    But as a FN I think you are either inviting trouble (by naming your child after
    the - very male - god of mischief) or just too lazy to research the name fully.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Its not that I havent researched the name. I know exactly what it means and that it is intentionally a male name. To me Loki itself (history and mythology aside) always sounded more feminine and innocent when not associated with anything else. I was curious if anyone else thought of it this way. Good to know the majority thoughts though! haha Thank god for nameberry community! =)