Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    If I met a little girl named Loki I would find it unintentionally hilarious and assume her parents were woefully ignorant of Norse mythology. While Loki had some gender-bending attributes, he is most consistently a male god. Would you name your son Freya?
    Yep, exactly this.

This whole "names on the wrong gender" thing is getting ridiculous now, and it's only going one way, it's a double standard.
    Edith. Iris. Lyra. Violet. Clara. Freya. Alice. Ottilie. Marian. Luella. Beatrice. Anthea. Romilly. Martha. Grace.
    Arthur. Stanley. Felix. Henry. Otto. Samuel. Dexter. Edward. Julian. Nicholas. Ira. Sidney. Winston. Thomas. Gabriel.

listography

I can't roll with Loki being used on children, let alone a girl. It's mainly because the Marvel version is so popular now---he's a supervillain, and you would not name your child "the Joker". Loki also does a lot of awful things in the myths (but I'm not as familiar with Norse mythology as I am with Greek). Loki is a fun, interesting character, but he is not a great namesake and his name is male, despite the whole turning into a milkmaid thing.

I think it could be a super cute nn. (For something like Lorena Katherine).
    But as a FN I think you are either inviting trouble (by naming your child after
    the - very male - god of mischief) or just too lazy to research the name fully.
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...newlyweds; ntnp...

Its not that I havent researched the name. I know exactly what it means and that it is intentionally a male name. To me Loki itself (history and mythology aside) always sounded more feminine and innocent when not associated with anything else. I was curious if anyone else thought of it this way. Good to know the majority thoughts though! haha Thank god for nameberry community! =)