Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

adding to my list

I'm looking for some girl names that go with the names in my signature. Here's the criteria:

-They must be Irish, or at least related to Ireland in some obvious way (like, St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, so it works even though the name Patrick doesn't originate there.)

- I won't use a name that is impossible to spell/pronounce in English (my husband keeps suggesting Siobhan, but I won't even consider it). We're okay with Anglicized spellings, but some seem a little too inauthentic for our taste (our daughter's name, Maura, is not the traditional spelling, but that spelling is used in Ireland so it works).

- There are unfortunately a lot of wonderful Celtic names already used in our family. Fiona, Isla, Maeve...and a bunch of others, but those are the main ones I wish we could consider but can't.

- I would say my husband's style is somewhat old-fashioned. He would be more likely to pick something outdated than trendy or modern. We both tend to go for names that are uncommon, yet familiar. If it helps, I picked our daughter's name, Maura; my husband wanted Máire (the traditional Irish spelling of her name) or Moira. It obviously wasn't too much of a stretch for us to compromise on that one, but I think that kind of illustrates the slight difference in our naming styles. Brigid in my signature is his pick if our next baby is a girl. I'm letting it grow on me. We both like Patrick, but it's loaded with personal significance, so it's not strictly about the sound or style of the name.

Sorry, I wrote a novel up there. Any suggestions?
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille and Baby #2 due April 8th!

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: Fiona Corinne

Re: Maire/Maura -- I generally think of Maire being a different name than Maura, pronounce moy-ruh, as opposed to Maura, which when I say it, rhymes with Laura. May I ask how you pronounce each variation?

I really, really like Brigid Helen for you. It definitely seems like a bridge of you and your husband's styles. Maybe it will grow on you more as time passes. I always find reading up on the history of names makes me grow more partial to them.

Suggestions:

Keeva

Deirdre

Bevin

Aine/Anya

Ailbhe/Alva (although this is unisex, so I don't know how you feel about that)

Noreen

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

|Penelope Winter Rose | Alexander Gideon Delayne | Luna Aurora Belle | William Owen Emrys | Liliana Tallulah Grace | Micah Isaac James | Dahlia Winter Carys | Elijah Samuel Leon | Coraline Lavinia Jane | Jasper Everett Greer | Gianna Francesca Maryse | August River Jordan | Magnolia Gwyneira Hesper | Silas John Paul | Anastasia Beatrix Pearl | Leland Samuel Delayne | Artemis Elektra Victoria | Lachlan Isaiah Rhys | Arcadia Callista Maeve|

Some easily pronounced/anglicized ideas...

Aideen/Aileen
    Ciara
    Clare
    Deirdre
    Fidelma
    Ida
    Orla

Other simple-ish names (although they're not quite intuitive in English):

Aoife
    Catriona/Caitriona
    Eimear
    Roisin
    Saoirse
    Sinead

Good luck! I love Brigid Helen
    Adelaide ~ Alice ~ Eliza ~ Julia ~ Lea ~ Lior ~ Mira ~ Penelope ~ Stella ~ Vivienne
    Augustin ~ Dáire ~ Damian ~ Eli ~ Felix ~ Leo ~ Linus ~ Sebastian ~ Tristan ~ Theodore