Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I love Jeremy! Jeremiah is nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemrsb View Post
    Yes, it's dated.

And "Jem?" Really? I think that's possibly the least-masculine nickname I've ever heard. It's "Gem," as in, a jewel, to the ear. I cannot imagine a young boy wanting to go by this nickname. It's just BEGGING to be teased.
    We'll have to agree to disagree here. The only people named Jem I've ever heard of are boys, and that includes Jem Finch, a very well-known literary character. It sounds so close to Jim i can't imagine anyone automatically assuming its feminine. All the Gemmas i know go by Em or Emma, not Gem. At most, its equally unisex, but to my ears its entirely masculine.

I also don't think kids are going to name-bully anyone. I'm convinced that kids who do, get it from their parents. A kid today knows every range of name on other kids. What would've seemed odd ten or twenty years ago is perfectly normal to them.

I also don't believe that unisex names are somehow a bad thing for boys but fine on girls. It sends the message that femininity is somehow wrong or less and that masculine is the ideal we should all aspire to. I have no problem giving my boys unisex names; I'm not the type that thinks macho manly man names are the only thing acceptable for boys.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I like Jem as a nickname, reminds me of Anne of Green Gables' son in the later books of that series. (yeah yeah I'm Canadian)

Jeremy has a bunch of associations --hyper masculine actors (Renner and Piven) the Pearl Jam song (a classic, although that Jeremy was kind of sad)

So while there were a bunch of Jeremys 30 years ago, I think it has moved into the "classic" realm.
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Eden
    Boy: Leo, Wallace, Grady

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael (Lex for short)

I think of it being dated but my friend just had a Jeremy 2 weeks ago. I also know another Jeremy who is about 6. There are a few around. Who decides what's dated anyway? Some very popular names sound old to me. George for example.

As far as J names go, I prefer James, Joseph or Joshua. Jericho is about as close as I'd get to Jeremy...it doesn't sound strong enough for my taste.