Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to "find" meaningful names?

Ok - I am aware that this is the stupidest question ever, but I was wondering where to look to find meaningful names (e.g. middles)? My grandmother disliked her name, so that's kind of out... and my mother's not particularly interested in having a daughter with her name (I think she was a bit put off, having a 'boring and popular' name).
    So - where should I look? I don't want to randomly grab a name I like from the family tree....
    A thought - my grandmother's name (that she doesn't like) is Neroli Rae and I've discovered that I can make Eleanor from that. Would you call that at all meaningful or way too far removed?
    Sorry for the stupid question! Very grateful for any ideas of where to start looking. Thank you!
    Last edited by jem; August 25th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.

Favorite books, music, artists, something based on childhood memories...your mother's favorite names or favorite relative...someone you admire, perhaps from your family or from general history, religion or culture.

Eleanor is a very lovely name, and if it has meaning to you, then yes, i would call it meaningful.

Its not a stupid question, btw. You should do as rkrd instructed. A name that has meaning to you is a name that evokes a feeling from you. If there are no family names you like, look elsewhere. Find variants. If youre honoring a mary, try marion, or maris, or even moira or miriam. Search high and low, and you will find what youre looking for.
    |Penelope Winter Rose | Alexander Gideon Delayne | Luna Aurora Belle | William Owen Emrys | Liliana Tallulah Grace | Micah Isaac James | Dahlia Winter Carys | Elijah Samuel Leon | Coraline Lavinia Jane | Jasper Everett Greer | Gianna Francesca Maryse | August River Jordan | Magnolia Gwyneira Hesper | Silas John Paul | Anastasia Beatrix Pearl | Leland Samuel Delayne | Artemis Elektra Victoria | Lachlan Isaiah Rhys | Arcadia Callista Maeve|

Not a stupid question at all. My mom is totally against me using her name (I never had any intention anyway). I'm not interested in naming my kids after anyone but I love hidden connections. You can find names that link to mom/grandma/etc without using their actual names. What are their favorite songs, favorite colors, their professions, the names they wanted to use for their kids but never got the chance....? For instance, Grandma's favorite color is yellow so I could use yellow or sunny names- Cyrus, Xanthe, or Sol. Mom's name means 'foreign', so names with the same meaning are Wallace and Elodia.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

Quote Originally Posted by rhiatayler View Post
    Eleanor is a very lovely name, and if it has meaning to you, then yes, i would call it meaningful.

Its not a stupid question, btw. You should do as rkrd instructed. A name that has meaning to you is a name that evokes a feeling from you. If there are no family names you like, look elsewhere. Find variants. If youre honoring a mary, try marion, or maris, or even moira or miriam. Search high and low, and you will find what youre looking for.
    Yep!

My go to site for finding variants is Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey