Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Writing inspired names for a girl?

I'm thinking it might be nice to look down this route for potential girl names. I have always been a writer, and it could be a fun tie-in for my child if they had a writing-inspired name. My only problem is, one of the natural places to look for such names would be classic literature (character names, for example). Yet, I am more into modern fiction - my favorite authors include Arthur Golden (Memoirs of a Geisha), Michael Crichton (Timeline, Jurassic Park...), and absurdist comedy author Christopher Moore.

Can anyone think of some girl names that aren't necessarily dependent on coming from literature greats like Austen, Bronte, or Hawthorne?
    Harlan Rafferty ✦ Lorcan Barnaby ✦ Soren Felix
    ✗ Lists still under construction ✗

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

I'm actually thinking of Hawthorne for my child if it is a boy. As in Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Other than the obvious Austen, Bronte, type names, have you considered character names instead of just author names. I always tell people that my Charlotte was from Charlotte's Web. I met an adorable little girl the other day names Antonia (Ann-Toe-Knee-ah) as in the book "My Antonia".

What about something like Wilde (as in Oscar Wilde) or Willa (Willa Cather).

I'm thinking about character names, although some books lend themselves to this better than others. For Memoirs of a Geisha I couldn't say, name my child "Chairman" (I suppose I could, but that'd be odd), or in some of Moore's novels a MC of his is named Molly. I see Molly as more of a pet name as I have met many dogs by that name. So it's kind of been a tough search!

Thanks for the idea!
    Harlan Rafferty ✦ Lorcan Barnaby ✦ Soren Felix
    ✗ Lists still under construction ✗

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

You could use Sayuri from Memoirs of a Geisha. I think it's very pretty. On the Japanese theme you could use Sakura, remember the blossom viewing parties they went to in the book?
    Or on the general theme of books, why not Paige?
    Other Memoirs names that are maybe not so useable in America/UK:
    Chiyo
    Satsu
    Mameha
    Hatsumomo

Hope I helped
    Ellie xx
    💖💖💖16 year old Britberry💖💖💖
    💖💖💖Writer, dreamer, lover💖💖💖

💗💗💗Girls: Willa, Rosa, Genevieve, India, Ashlyn, Alana, Sybil, Bianca, Amber, Honor, Fallon💗💗💗

💙💙💙Boys: Daniel, Elliot, Luke, Lawrence, Ronan, Aethred, Alan, Finnian, Eric, Matthew, Joe, Marius💙💙💙

My etsy shop- http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LacianaEarrings

Ayla (Clan of the Cave Bear, Jean Auel)
    Olga (The Grasshopper, Chekhov)
    Margarita (The Master and Margarita, Bulgakov)
    Alba (house of the Spirits, Isabel Allende)
    Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird)