Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Was I Wrong?

Was I Wrong?

This woman had told me her sister was currently pregnant with a girl and that she was going to name her, Gabriela. It was a name she wanted to name her little girl, but instead decided to honor her father. She was happy that her sister had decided to use the name, Gabriela.

So in the midst of the conversation, I told her that I really like the name, Gabriel.

She was really excited and somewhat said, "Ohh, that is a really nice name. I really like it. That would make a great twin-set!" I know my facial expression can seem a little harsh at times, so I told her--"OMG, no. That is horrible. That is not something you would want to name them just because they are twins. etc." Lol, she looked completely shocked and kept asking me if I was for real. And I kept reassuring her that I was sure. She looked as if I took her spirit away. Lol

Any who, should I have handled it a little better? Should I have kept letting her think that was one of the best sib-set names I have ever heard? I know someone people enjoy that, but as most of you, I think twins should have a bit of individuality. Not just a couple of letters that are added or different.

Sidenote: I saw a personalized baby bag with the name: Averleigh or Averaleigh. (It was a couple of weeks ago, so I am not sure if the 'a' was there or not. What do you think? I thought the mom was torn between Waverly and Everly.

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •

Caspian & Lilias

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •

I wouldn't have pretended to like it, but I also wouldn't have used the word "horrible" (you win more flies with honey)...I would have just said "well, they're both great names, but I think it could get pretty confusing if siblings had such similar names"...that way, it sounds like you are just trying to be practical rather than hating her naming style.
    Favorite names at the moment:
    Simone Sage
    Andre Larion

Other names I like: Veronica Vivian Lydia Octavia Bianca Flora Zulima Augustine Elsa Avalon Zamora Carmina

I think it could have been handled better, but it was your knee jerk reaction. It's better to be honest, but in a kind way. I would have simply said: "I think those names are way to similar. Can't you imagine the confusion?"
    You don't have to keep your opinions to yourself, but it's better to say it in a way that doesn't insult her naming style.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by janis0616 View Post
    I wouldn't have pretended to like it, but I also wouldn't have used the word "horrible" (you win more flies with honey)...I would have just said "well, they're both great names, but I think it could get pretty confusing if siblings had such similar names"...that way, it sounds like you are just trying to be practical rather than hating her naming style.
    This. I wouldn't have pretended to like it either (not to mention I cringe at those names because of my ex was named Gabriel...bad associations!! But I know that's just me) but after explaining why I cringed i'd also of said something like "well, they're both great names, but I think it could get pretty confusing if siblings had such similar names"
    Just a 24 y/o writer in love with names.
    My favorites list is at http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/48927

Nope, you were totally right. That's a terrible idea, and hopefully you've scared her off using it.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...