Names Searched Right Now:

Thinking about Liliane

Since my sisters and I all share a love of languages, when one of my sisters gets to pick a "new" name for a language course they're taking, I take particular interest (I think it could be a fun way to honor them!). My little sister just started her first French course, and has decided on Liliane for her "French name". I've already had Liliana nn Lily on my list, as the Lily part honors my one grandmother, and the Ana part the other. This new development has me thinking, and I have a couple questions:

1. How would you pronounce Liliane? Or if you know, how would you imagine the typical American would say Liliane? Due to my dear love of French culture (and out of respect for my best friend, who was French), I would use the proper French pronunciation--I'm just curious how often it would be butchered. :/

2. Do you think Liliana is a happy medium to honor all three--my two grandmothers and my little sister--or do you think in order to have the tie to my sister, I really need to use Liliane?

3. Between the two, which do you prefer? Liliana or Liliane?

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

I pronounce Liliane just like Lillian, even though I know the French pronunciation. Honestly, here in the US I think you're going to get that a lot and Liliane loses its prettiness when said in English.

I like Liliana very much. It's super girly and frilly, so in some respects Liliane is sleeker and more sophisticated maybe? It depends on the feel you want.

You already have Isabelle and Arianne on your list and I feel like Liliane would get lost.

So after a long ramble, lol, I would stick to Liliana.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I like Liliana very much, too. And I honestly am starting to feel like I prefer it (and Lilia, and Lillian) to Liliane, but I agree that with Arianne, Liliane sort of gets lost. I just feel like it doesn't really have the tie to my sister like Liliane would. idk. Since Liliane is already a fairly big step to honor her.
    Ashley

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Do you pronounce it lill-ee-anne? I'm sorry if I'm butchering it, I looked it up, and it gave me that pronunciation.

Between the two, I prefer Liliana. I think its gorgeous, and a lovely way to honor your grandmothers. It could honor your sister as well, as I don't think you absolutely have to use Liliane to honor her. They're pretty similar. Either way, I think they're both pretty.
    |Penelope Winter Rose | Alexander Gideon Delayne | Luna Aurora Belle | William Owen Emrys | Liliana Tallulah Grace | Micah Isaac James | Dahlia Winter Carys | Elijah Samuel Leon | Coraline Lavinia Jane | Jasper Everett Greer | Gianna Francesca Maryse | August River Jordan | Magnolia Gwyneira Hesper | Silas John Paul | Anastasia Beatrix Pearl | Leland Samuel Delayne | Artemis Elektra Victoria | Lachlan Isaiah Rhys | Arcadia Callista Maeve|

Quote Originally Posted by rhiatayler View Post
    Do you pronounce it lill-ee-anne? I'm sorry if I'm butchering it, I looked it up, and it gave me that pronunciation.
    haha, where did you look it up? The French pronunciation is lil-YAHN, or, probably more correctly, leel-YAHN. Liliane pronunciation: How to pronounce Liliane in French

I just find Liliana much prettier, and I feel like it suits my style more (although I'm in a constant debate over Liliana vs. Lillian vs. Lilia!), but I struggle with honoring my sister, and I love Lily names, and I like that Liliane is so beautiful but quite obscure, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I think Liliane's beautiful--I just feel like I prefer other Lily names more. She keeps calling herself Lillian now (which I think is totally cute, haha), so maybe Lillian would have more significance (and be more approachable?) than Liliana? I honestly don't need to honor the grandmother that the -ana part honors, as I am absolutely set on using her MN (Grace) somewhere in my first daughter's name.

I am totally crushing on Lillian Cosima (Lillian Cosima Pearl?), atm, too! I just don't know if I could give up my beloved Liliana Odette Pearl...
    Ashley