Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    I grew up Catholic, not sure about names, but it might having something to do with the fact that as a Catholic, you follow the new testament, while Jews follow the old testament. So using an old testament name might appear to be Jewish for that reason.
    i'm wondering whether there are different denominations among Catholics?
    at least in Europe, Catholics focus on the OT and Protestants focus on the NT. (i was baptized Catholic.) Judaism follows the five books of Moses, which are part of, but not the entire OT. so perhaps names from those 5 books (Isaac etc?) strike us as "more Jewish than Catholic"?

another Catholic naming tip: in some countries in Europe, Catholics celebrate "name days". these are days devoted to Catholic saints, established Catholic names and also some accepted regional gods / goddesses from that particular country's pagan past. i know the Balkan countries celebrate name days (it's like a mini birthday ), and i *think* so do Italy and Greece. so perhaps checking out those calendars, if you can find them online, might offer some additional inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by vc2013 View Post
    i'm wondering whether there are different denominations among Catholics?
    at least in Europe, Catholics focus on the OT and Protestants focus on the NT. (i was baptized Catholic.) Judaism follows the five books of Moses, which are part of, but not the entire OT. so perhaps names from those 5 books (Isaac etc?) strike us as "more Jewish than Catholic"?

another Catholic naming tip: in some countries in Europe, Catholics celebrate "name days". these are days devoted to Catholic saints, established Catholic names and also some accepted regional gods / goddesses from that particular country's pagan past. i know the Balkan countries celebrate name days (it's like a mini birthday ), and i *think* so do Italy and Greece. so perhaps checking out those calendars, if you can find them online, might offer some additional inspiration?
    Yes there are different types of Catholics. I guess I just assumed they all follow the new testament, but I guess not!

I'm Roman Catholic and we only focus on the new testament, sure we learn about both, but we believe that Jesus came and everything in the old testament no longer "counted" (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for), so we FOLLOW the new testament, but that doesn't mean we aren't taught the old testament.

There are also Jesuits and Greek Orthodox. Those are the 3 I know of, not sure if there are more that consider themselves Catholic.
    Last edited by catloverd; September 12th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    Yes there are different types of Catholics. I guess I just assumed they all follow the new testament, but I guess not!

I'm Roman Catholic and we only focus on the new testament, sure we learn about both, but we believe that Jesus came and everything in the old testament no longer "counted" (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for), so we FOLLOW the new testament, but that doesn't mean we aren't taught the old testament.

There are also Jesuits and Greek Orthodox. Those are the 3 I know of, not sure if there are more that consider themselves Catholic.
    interesting! i was baptized Roman Catholic too, but grew up in Europe and there it's the other way around. we learned about the NT too, but the life and works of Jesus were more the focus of protestantism. so i'm more familiar with the OT.