Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I love your taste in names. I have a DD named Miriam and I love it for many of the same reasons you do. Mira is a great nn or fn.

Maura would be a great option as well. Levi and Maura definitely feel less biblical together if that is an issue for you.

What about Mariam or Naomi?

BTW Simon Reid is a fantastic combo as well.
    DD Miriam Elodie
    Fave girls: Delphine, Beatrice, Emmanuelle, Josephine, Claire, Vivianne
    Fave boys: Felix, Simon, Roman, Etienne, Arthur, Walter

Mira is our girl frontrunner. For many of the reasons you mentioned, plus people generally like it (I've polled it quite a bit). Short, simple, still somewhat unusual, and I agree that familiarity with Mira Sorveno will help people pronounce it correctly. I know some still think "My-ra" but in my mind that would be spelled Myra and Mira should obviously be MEER-a. Perhaps my favorite thing about Mira is that it is another name for Omicron Ceti, which is a very neat binary star system that varies in brightness throughout the year. A "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" themed nursery seems very appropriate And going stargazing for Mira with Mira would be fantastic.

Downside: Mira means "Look!" in Spanish. Miriam is just not my style.

Love Miriam with the nickname Mira. I don't think you would have any pronunciation problems at all with Mira. It's a pretty well known name and I've never heard anyone pronounce it any other way except meer-ah. You could also use Miranda instead as another way to get to Mira if your husband won't go for Miriam. I also like Norah June so really, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Out of curiosity, what is the death association with Mara? I've never heard any, only that the name is another form of Mary.

@missv I do love Naomi as well! You obviously have goo taste in names. Does your Miriam go by any nicknames?

@iamamiam I love the star association too. How cool!

@pansy Appellation Mountain names seems to hit most the negative associations: Baby Name of the Day: Mara - Appellation Mountain Norse name for a goblin sent to torment sleepers. Mara was a demon in a Buddhist myth. In Slavic culture, she is goddess of death. Hindu goddess of death.
    Last edited by leimchugh; August 24th, 2013 at 08:20 AM.

We very occasionally use Miri or Mimi for our Miriam, but we mostly use her full name (she's still a toddler so this might change). I thought that I would use Mira more often, but it hasn't felt natural for us.

You could also use Mia as a nn although it is fairly popular on its own.

We have gotten quite a few compliments on our DD's name. The only negative comments where "oh that's a more traditional name" which doesn't bother me since we wanted something that was recognizable, but not too popular.

I've actually met a few little girls named Miriam, Myriam and Mariam (as well as several gown women), but they were all either of French or Middle Eastern origin.
    DD Miriam Elodie
    Fave girls: Delphine, Beatrice, Emmanuelle, Josephine, Claire, Vivianne
    Fave boys: Felix, Simon, Roman, Etienne, Arthur, Walter