Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: OT...Doctor Who

@dantea-

Haven is an original show on the SyFy channel here in the US.
    It's lightly based on the short story "The Colorado Kid" by Stephen King. The fact that it's based on a King story is why I gave it a chance. It's on Friday nights, which is horrible for us in general, but we'll DVR it this year.

Story:
    centers around the town of Haven, Maine, where all sorts of strange things happen. Audrey Parker, FBI Agent and orphaned loner, is the central character. She starts to find clues to her past and is offered a job in the local police dept, since she isn't fazed by the weirdness going on. You learn early on that someone else wanted her in Haven too.
    Other important characters:
    Nathan - Haven Detective and all-around good guy. He's kind of like the backbone of the whole town. He makes the problems look normal even when they are far from it.
    Duke - the bad-guy-with-a-secret-heart-of-gold bar owner who is also an illegal smuggler. He and Nathan have had a rough past, but they really both love Audrey in their own ways (all ranges too: sister, friend, more, and back again.) Also hilarious.
    Dave and Vince - brothers who run the Haven Herald and have had their hands into everything for decades. They are the comic relief most times and really do help and hinder Audrey's quest. But they also really care for her. Vince was once in love with Lucy.
    The Colorado Kid - a 27 yr old mystery that involved the death of a man named the Colorado Kid. It continues to pop up over the seasons and continuously becomes a larger part of the puzzle as the series moves on.

As I said, we just rented Season 1 to kind of remember where it all started from. I think I saw 3 episodes of that whole season. But we've been addicted since Season 2. Season 4 starts Sept. 13. Let me know if you end up watching this.

And Supernatural is totally worth the hours. We watched last summer and completely caught up on the whole series in time for the season premier.
    We're watching the Vampire Diaries on Netflix now. We're a whole season behind. We might have to rent it and then DVR the current season until we are caught up.

Is anyone watching BROADCHURCH on BBC-America with David Tennant?
    Mom to:
    Weston Christopher, July 2008
    Keegan Nathaniel,
    Dec. 12, 2013
    Sebastian Miller,
    Dec. 12, 2013

Current loves:
    ~ Emerson ~ Eden ~ Rosalind ~ Caroline ~ Matilda ~ Gemma ~

~ Landon ~ Kellan ~ Asher ~ Griffin ~ Archer ~ Edison ~ Holden ~ Harrison ~ Elliot ~

You don't actually have to watch all the series to understand what is going on. You could just start with one of the series or even the new one in December and it would still make sense.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Angel here-- everyone keeps telling me to watch Doctor Who because I'd love it (also my roommate wants to put up TARDIS string lights), and I'm tempted to, but have a few concerns:

1) Will it eat my life? I feel like it will eat my life. I'm a slightly obsessive person. When I discovered Firefly I didn't emerge from my basement for an entire weekend. I can't afford to spend all semester watching all seven series and doing no work...
    2) I've seen a few episodes already (the Love's Labour's Lost one and the Colin Morgan one) and wasn't actually all that impressed. Well, actually, Midnight was really good, but it felt very self-contained. The actual premise of Doctor Who doesn't interest me that much.

So I guess I'm afraid that I'll either like it too much or not like it enough. Any advice?

Also, seconding Hollow Crown, Sherlock (absolute must for anglophiles), Merlin (love of my life I don't even care about special effects or botched mythology) and kind of American Horror Story. Season 1 was great (though I'm now scarred for life) but 2 doesn't do it for me at all.

Also, Community. Community has made me laugh until I cried, and I don't laugh easily.

And this is random, but my cousin in LA bumped into Nathan Fillion the other day--and then went hiking with him. He went hiking. With Nathan Fillion. I can't get over the jealousy.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat as Angel here-- everyone keeps telling me to watch Doctor Who because I'd love it (also my roommate wants to put up TARDIS string lights), and I'm tempted to, but have a few concerns:

1) Will it eat my life? I feel like it will eat my life. I'm a slightly obsessive person. When I discovered Firefly I didn't emerge from my basement for an entire weekend. I can't afford to spend all semester watching all seven series and doing no work...
    2) I've seen a few episodes already (the Love's Labour's Lost one and the Colin Morgan one) and wasn't actually all that impressed. Well, actually, Midnight was really good, but it felt very self-contained. The actual premise of Doctor Who doesn't interest me that much.

So I guess I'm afraid that I'll either like it too much or not like it enough. Any advice?

Also, seconding Hollow Crown, Sherlock (absolute must for anglophiles), Merlin (love of my life I don't even care about special effects or botched mythology) and kind of American Horror Story. Season 1 was great (though I'm now scarred for life) but 2 doesn't do it for me at all.

Also, Community. Community has made me laugh until I cried, and I don't laugh easily.

And this is random, but my cousin in LA bumped into Nathan Fillion the other day--and then went hiking with him. He went hiking. With Nathan Fillion. I can't get over the jealousy.
    I love Dr Who. I also love Firefly. I only started watching Dr Who in June, and I'm up to season 5 of the new series. So, to answer your first question, yes, it could eat your life. However, it could also make a great reward for getting some study done. I'd recommend starting from the 1st series with Christopher Eccleston as the doctor. Watch a couple and see what you think. Also, I am incredibly jealous of your cousin too! How did he get such good luck?

^_^ Doctor Who (click the emote)

You can also watch Fringe, Sherlock, Lost Girl, and some more shows. That's where I go if I cannot find it on Netflix.
    Last edited by natural; August 31st, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ●

c a s p i a n .. oberon .. raphael .. solomon .. zephyrus

a m a r y l l i s .. chrysanthe .. isabeau .. lilias .. samara

• ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •