Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on the name Jude?

Every time my mom and I talk about baby names, she mentions that she likes the name Jude for a boy. At first, I didn't really like the name, it was just okay. Now it's starting to grow on me. I like the connection to Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes and the impossible. And of course Saint Jude's hospital. But I have a few questions. Do you think everyone will associate Jude with: a) Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus b) Jude Law c) the Beatles song "Hey Jude" ? What is your general opinion of the name?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hardertobreathe; August 22nd, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    Zoe, Veronica, Selene, Thalia, Magdalena, Adeline, Alice, Cleo, Isadora/Isidora, & Phoebe

Dimitri, Gregory, Augustus, Jude, Tobias, Jason, Leo, Orion, Samuel, & Charles

Crushing On: Nicoletta, Louisa, Ariadne & Benjamin, Nico, Peregrine

Have a fabulous day!

I love the name. In answer to your questions:
    a) no, I don't associate Jude with Judas (to me they are different);
    b) I only think of Jude Law when asked to think about what I think about the name-- it doesn't instantly come to mind the way "the friendly ghost" comes to mind when I hear Casper;
    c) "Hey Jude" is one of my mom's favorite songs so I associate it with the song in a positive way.

I absolutely adore Jude (Judah is on my list), but I'm put off by its rapidly rising popularity. If that's not a concern for you, absolutely use Jude! It's such a strong, handsome, approachable name. If I was a boy, I would want to be called Jude (yes, I've thought about this :P).

I don't associate Jude with either Judas or The Beatles. Then again, I really like the name Judas, am a Jew, and not a Beatles fan, so take that with a grain of salt. I don't think it's inextricably tied to Jude Law - though he's one of my favorite actors (and my imaginary celebrity husband), so I actually think the association is a plus.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I really like Jude and I wouldn't immediately associate it with Judas or Jude Law, but as mentioned above, what you maybe should consider is that Jude is really popular at the moment but if you are ok with that you should consider it as a name choice.

Quote Originally Posted by little_billie View Post
    I really like Jude and I wouldn't immediately associate it with Judas or Jude Law, but as mentioned above, what you maybe should consider is that Jude is really popular at the moment but if you are ok with that you should consider it as a name choice.
    My exact thoughts!

I think it is a great name!