Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Regret

Name Regret

My baby boy is 3 weeks old and I am feeling uncertain about the name we gave him. I am not sure it feels like the right name for him and I am not sure I love the name. Which I already thought might happen before we even named him... I posted on here many times trying to figure out what to name our little guy. My husband and I couldn't agree on a name and we ended up naming our baby boy Jack. I just worry that it is too common/too generic. I am already encountering tons of other boys named Jack and I hate it every time I do. I really wanted a name that felt a little more special/individual for my guy. But at the same time I do like classic names and my husband definitely likes very common names. I really wanted to name him Henry and I was hoping that my husband might change his mind at the last minute and say ok to Henry but he did not.
    Another name that we were considering before he was born was Hudson and I sort of feel like he looks more like a Hudson than a Jack. We didn't choose Hudson because ultimately I didn't think it was classic enough, and I thought it was maybe too trendy. I also wasn't sure if went well with our daughters' names, Sophie and Violet. But now I keep wondering if we should have named him Hudson instead, because it stands out a little more than Jack and maybe it fits him better.
    I haven't said a word about this to my husband because I know he will just get angry and I know he really likes the name Jack. We have had tons of problems with naming each of our kids and I know that if I bring this up it will create problems between us. It is bothering me a lot though and I am trying to figure out if I would be happier if we would have named him Hudson instead. I know I'm dealing with postpartum hormones and sleep deprivation and I always dwell on my kids' names and sort of obsess over them (during pregnancy and after as well). I just don't know what to do. I am trying to push it out of my mind and just be happy with his name. His full name is Jack Hawthorne and we have a three syllable last name. If we used Hudson, we would have called him Hudson James.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Jack Hawthorne is adorable! You could try thinking of him in terms of the full name, which is very distinctive, or consider calling him by his middle name if you can get your husband on board. A name is just a name--it's the child who will define himself. The name Jack Hawthorne is a great springboard for your child to form his identity.

I'm biased, because Jack is my favorite boy name, but I see where you're coming from. You WILL need to say something to your husband eventually if you want to do anything about it, so the question right now is, do you feel strongly enough to say something about it to your husband. Some of the good things about Jack: the GREAT namesakes, how classy it is, your husband loves it, it's a name you agreed on together, it has a great vibe and feel. Some not good things: super duper common, he doesn't look that much like a Jack (oddly, I think Jack is a "little black dress" name for a boy- meaning that it could work on everyone and anyone and still be a smart, classy choice), you feel like you settled for Jack. Is that worth it? It's kind of up to you.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Jack Hawthorne is adorable! You could try thinking of him in terms of the full name, which is very distinctive, or consider calling him by his middle name if you can get your husband on board. A name is just a name--it's the child who will define himself. The name Jack Hawthorne is a great springboard for your child to form his identity.
    I agree with this 100%.
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014

You could combine the 'haw' from Hawthorne and the 'k' from Jack and nickname him Hawk?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.