Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Do you think Vivien is a legitimate spelling?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 83.33%
  • No

5 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the "Vivien" spelling legit enough?

I'm still on a quest for a first name I like paired with Theophania in the middle, and one of the names I keep going back to Vivian. The problem is that I feel it looks too close to our son's name, William. Vivienne is actually my preferred spelling of the name usually, but I feel it looks too frilly next to the already super-frilly Theophania. Then it hit me this morning: Vivien! That solves both problems. It looks different enough from William, while not being as frilly as Vivienne. My one concern now is whether or not it feels like a legitimate spelling variation (like Catherine/Katharine) or if it seems too made-up/creative. The only person I know that spelled it that way was the actress Vivien Leigh, but are there other historical associations with that spelling? (I know she'd have to spell it all the time, but that would be the case with Vivian and Vivienne, too, since they're both well-known spellings, so that doesn't bother me.)
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

Alfred Lord Tennyson used it in his epic poem "Idylls of the King" for the lady of the lake. I think it's prettier than Vivienne, more elegant and I adore Vivien Leigh.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Vivien is actually the French MALE form of the name so it is a legitimate spelling. Since it's been used in literature as a female name, I don't think you should worry about its authenticity. Since it's a mn, I don't think she'll have to spell too much either.

FYI - Vivien Leigh was actually born Vivian so she changed it!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Alfred Lord Tennyson used it in his epic poem "Idylls of the King" for the lady of the lake. I think it's prettier than Vivienne, more elegant and I adore Vivien Leigh.
    Oh, that's great to know! Hubby is a fan of Tennyson's poetry, so that's another mark in Vivien's favor. I think he'd like the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Vivien is actually the French MALE form of the name so it is a legitimate spelling. Since it's been used in literature as a female name, I don't think you should worry about its authenticity. Since it's a mn, I don't think she'll have to spell too much either.

FYI - Vivien Leigh was actually born Vivian so she changed it!
    Actually, Vivien would be the first name: Vivien Theophania. (Would love to use Theophania as a first, but DH won't agree to it.)

I suspected it might be the French male form of the name. Hmm, I have to admit, that does kind of bug me a little, but Vivian is also a masculine spelling, so I guess it doesn't really matter. It's not like there are many boys named Vivien/Vivian born nowadays, anyway.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

There aren't a lot of male Vivien's around. Vivien Theophania is absolutely beautiful, muffs!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]