Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It also makes me wonder how the names we love are perceived by people outside Nameberry.
    As a teacher I can tell you my fellow staff make ALL sorts of comments about names that are slightly off beat or different.
    Usually it runs to comments like "must be a family name", "must have been the delivery drugs" "That's cruel" or "what were they thinking?".
    Names I am familiar with have them stumbling to say them.

But I agree... Sophia Rose wouldn't get so much as blink from most people these days. It surprised me that this lady wasn't up with the trends.
    Phoebe Eliza Grace arrived after 2 Years of IVF

I found this thread hilarious and so interesting! My aunt thought the name was cousin chose for her baby was just so common and old man ish. She named him Peter, which I thought was classic and sweet and not that common anymore. Everyone's got an opinion haha!
    TTC #1

This reminds me of something that happened recently in my family. My aunt's brother and his partner named their son Brody Luke, which everyone in my family thought was so unusual. I just remember sitting through the conversation thinking "Uh... guys... I hate to break it to you, but, umm..."
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

It is amazing how contexts change. I adore the name Elizabeth. It is a family name ( my Mormor & great grandmother Marie Elizabeth & Stina Elizabeth) and has the wonderful literary background of Elizabeth Bennet (Pride & Prejudice). I would never use the nickname "Beth" because it is too common and plain, but would rather opt for the somewhat fresher sounding Liz or Lizzy. Mormor preferred Beth to Lizzy--because Lizzy is a murderer. Three boys later I've moved away from Elizabeth, but I know what my Mormor would have said had we chosen that name.

It's just a generational thing. Makes some sense that the older crowds think the names Sophia and Rose are horrible. The younger adults having babies don't tend to like the popular names from the 80s and 90s. (Jessica, Ashley, Jennifer, ect.) I'm sure babies of today will think the same of Sophia in the future. It's just the life cycle of names.
    Landon Michael James - May '06
    Addison Blake Lynn - November '09
    Baby Q #3 - March '14
    Names I'm Loving Right Now
    Ladies: Charlotte, Nora, Eden, Penelope
    Gents: Finn, Simon, Bennett, Wyatt