Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattison

Hybrid View

Mattison

My husbands Brother was Matthew he likes Mattison for a girl to honor him. He has passed away young due to a heart defect. NN is Mattie. Thoughts?

I would go with Mattea/Matea instead, since that's a feminine form of Matthew.

He isn't a fan. I also suggested Matilda but that was also shot down.

Quote Originally Posted by raechel View Post
    He isn't a fan. I also suggested Matilda but that was also shot down.
    Well, since he doesn't like Mattea or Matilda, what about using a female version of his brother's middle name instead? I agree with namelover77 that Mattison will most likely get mistaken for Madison all the time and that the -son ending doesn't make it very feminine.

My condolences for your husband's brother. I think there are better ways to honor a Matthew... There are a couple of reasons why I don't think Mattison is a great idea:

1) Mattison is very similar to Madison, and will often be misspelled because they sound so similar.
    2) Mattison has the -son ending, and names with this ending traditionally mean "son of...".

I think Matilda is a great name that carries the nickname Mattie (which is a great connection to Matthew) as is Mattea, which is a feminization of Matthew and would have a stronger connection to his name than Mattison.

EDIT: Argh, I posted right after you! Maybe search for a name with the same meaning? You could also use something else that connects to him, such as his birth month, birthstone, etc. If he was a birdwatcher, find a type of bird/name that means bird. If he was a history buff, think about his favorite historical figures. Have fun with your search!

Good luck!
    Last edited by namelover77; August 21st, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |