Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Brainstorming Irish Boys Names

I'm trying to add some more boys names to my list. Between my husband and myself, I think we have pretty specific criteria.

He really wants to give our children Irish first names if possible, or at least names associated with Ireland (like Patrick isn't truly an Irish name, but St. Patrick is one of the patron saint of Ireland).

I don't like names that are too difficult to spell or pronounce in English. We're not opposed to Anglicized spellings, but some just feel a little too inauthentic (our daughter's name is not the traditional spelling, but that spelling is at least used in Ireland).

We have an Irish last name that is now becoming popular as a first name for little girls, and my husband hates that, so we're staying away from surnames.

Our last name starts with Mc, so that may exclude some names (Cormac Mc_____ would sound pretty silly, right?)

Any suggestions?
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: ???

I like Padraig,
    Dermot
    Brendan
    Seamus
    Cillian
    Cathal/Cahal
    Alroy
    Lir
    Last edited by mimiottawa; August 21st, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: auto correct typo

I love Irish names! I wasn't sure what sorts of names you're looking for as far as the popular-to-unique range, so I tried to include a variety in my suggestions.

Alastar -- Irish form of Alexander
    Brogan
    Carbry/Carbrey
    Cavan
    Ciar (KEER) -- might be a little too hard to pronounce for your tastes, but I love it!
    Colin
    Conall
    Conor/Connor
    Dermot
    Donovan -- I know it's a surname, but I couldn't resist adding it
    Finn/Fionn
    Kean/Keane
    Killian
    Lochlan
    Lorcan
    Neil/Niall
    Owen
    Redmond -- Anglicization of the Irish form of Raymond
    Rory
    Seamus -- Irish form of James
    Sean -- Irish form of John
    Tiernan/Tiarnan
    Torin

Have only glanced at pp so sorry for repeatss <3

Niall
    Torin
    Finnegan
    Kieran
    Liam
    Ennis
    Eoghan
    Orin
    Ronan
    Cedric
    Graham
    <3
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Eddard Severus Wolf, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

Thanks, I really like some of these!

Seamus has always been on my list - my twin brother is named James, so I think that would be a cool way to honor him without actually using his name. I worry people think it's weird, though.

Niall is really high on my list right now. But, my 10-year-old neighbor informed me that it's the name of one of the kids in One Direction. Will people automatically make that association? Or is everyone over the age of like 14 clueless about them like I am?

I also like Brendan since watching the movie The Secret of Kells, but I'm worried it's too trendy-sounding. I've met a lot of young Braydens, Brennans, and anything-that-rhymes-with-Aidans. I know it's not the same, but I'm concerned it comes across that way anyway.

My sister almost named her sons Finn and Colin, so I feel those are off the table. My BFF would kill me if I used Liam. My brother-in-law is named Shawn, otherwise Sean would probably be a top contender to honor my husband's BFF/our daughter's godfather John. My husband doesn't like Ronan. My brother makes fun of the name Alistair all the time, so I probably shouldn't go there. Alexander was my great-grandpa's name, though, so it's a good option in that respect. I kind of like Cillian for the meaning of it, but it sounds like the word "kill" and it rhymes with my cousin Gillian's name. I like the way Keane looks better than the sound of it. We're avoiding K names, anyway, since my name and my husband's both start with K.
    Last edited by thatkathryngirl; August 21st, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: ???