Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Eamon, Declan, and Callum are my three favorites!
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Seamus is on my list, too! To me it isn't any weirder than Sean, which I don't think is weird at all. The only negative feedback I've gotten on it is that some people will try to pronounce it "see-muss." (And that high school boys will make semen jokes, but high school boys can make dirty jokes out of anything.)

I knew that Niall was the name of a kid in One Direction, but unless you're 13 I would never assume that you named your child after him. I'm 25 if that makes a difference.

I wouldn't ever think that Brendan is too trendy sounding. I kind of have the opposite issue with it, which is that I feel like I knew a lot of kids named Brendan growing up, so it seems like a name that's past its prime, like Brittany or Nicole. In my mind there's also the connection with Brendan Fraser.

Since it sounds like you've already considered a lot of these names, I've made a new list for you. They're all surname names that I avoided for my last list, but some of them don't sound too surnamey, so maybe you'll find something that's acceptable to your husband.

Brady
    Carey/Casey
    Clancy
    Daley
    Desmond
    Devin
    Doyle
    Gallagher
    Grady
    Nolan
    Quinn
    Reagan
    Rowan

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie512 View Post
    Seamus is on my list, too! To me it isn't any weirder than Sean, which I don't think is weird at all. The only negative feedback I've gotten on it is that some people will try to pronounce it "see-muss." (And that high school boys will make semen jokes, but high school boys can make dirty jokes out of anything.)

I knew that Niall was the name of a kid in One Direction, but unless you're 13 I would never assume that you named your child after him. I'm 25 if that makes a difference.

I wouldn't ever think that Brendan is too trendy sounding. I kind of have the opposite issue with it, which is that I feel like I knew a lot of kids named Brendan growing up, so it seems like a name that's past its prime, like Brittany or Nicole. In my mind there's also the connection with Brendan Fraser.
    Thanks for your reassurance about Seamus. I'm 99% sure most people are familiar with it and will know how to pronounce it (any mispronunciations would be on purpose). It's just used so infrequently that I'm scared other people perceive something wrong with it that I'm not seeing and they're all gonna be like "oh, it's so unfortunate they named him that". I really like it, though!

I think you're right about Niall, too. Given that my husband is Irish and we already have a child with an Irish name, it would be a stretch for people to assume we named our child after a boy band. We're in our late 20s - not exactly the target demographic for that music.

I never knew any Brendans growing up, but I did know 2 Brandons and I had a teacher whose first name was Brenda, so I can see how it sounds dated. We're less concerned about choosing something outdated than choosing something super trendy, though. I think this might have 1 foot in each category somehow! My husband isn't so crazy about it anyway, so it's probably off the list.

Since it sounds like you've already considered a lot of these names, I've made a new list for you. They're all surname names that I avoided for my last list, but some of them don't sound too surnamey, so maybe you'll find something that's acceptable to your husband.

Brady
    Carey/Casey
    Clancy
    Daley
    Desmond
    Devin
    Doyle
    Gallagher
    Grady
    Nolan
    Quinn
    Reagan
    Rowan
    Thanks. I like some of these...but he's not going to go for any of them. LOL
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: ???