Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    I would choose Florence because it's more versatile. Who says you can't even use Wren as a nn? So who cares if Florence doesn't have a "w" in it? It's not like it's against the law.
    It's weird though. What's the point in a silent letter when Ren (which sounds exactly the same) is in the name already? As a Ren, I just don't get why the 'w' is considered necessary? You say it more often than you spell it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by whirligig View Post
    Florence with the nn Wren gives you both of the names.
    Florence nicknamed Ren gives you both names too

Sorry, lol. I think it just grates on me because it sort of feels like I'm reading that my name isn't good enough without the 'w'. Though I understand this thread is about choosing between Florence nn Ren or Wren.
    Last edited by renrose; August 24th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Wren. I love nature names, I love the way it sounds, and I'm not so keen on Florence, I don't like the "Flor-" names so much.

Florence (nn Ren/Wren). I like Wren as a name, but baby Wren grows up into a woman who has to get a real job. Even if it's just the name she puts on her resume and diplomas, I'm one of those who favors having a full name.

If it was my name I would prefer Florence. Florence has been steadily growing on me lately and I just think there's something cute, quirky, and beautiful about it. I know it's vintage but it feels so fresh. I picture a beautiful and out-going, dark haired girl. Plus there's nickname options, which Wren doesn't have. I do like Wren as well though. But if it was my name, definitely Florence.
    Sylvie | Ronan | Genevieve | August
    [formerly nj003]

I would rather be a Wren, but I would rather name a daughter Florence. Not sure if that helps.. lol.
    Wren fits my personality, but I feel like Florence (along with many nicknames) could fit any personality.
    20 yr old name nerd, nanny & health and nutrition undergrad

Loving for the ladies: Harriet, Olive, Daphne and Frances
    And for the gentlemen: Peter, Charles and Beau (much harder than girls for me)

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer -Albert Camus