Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cold feet on names. Should we be gutsier?

DH and I have, for the most part, settled on calling our twin girls Philippa Winter and Vivienne Gray (Pip/Pippa and Vivi for short), but with our induction date looming less than 2 weeks away, I'm getting cold feet. We originally wanted something classic and interesting--out of the top 100--that wouldn't date quickly. I'm just not sure we've accomplished that with the names we've got. Are our choices too trendy?

Should we be looking for something different and be a little gutsier with our choices? Any suggestions (even out-of-the-box ones) are really welcome. Names like Primrose, Seren, Zara and Persis have been on our list at some point or another, so I'm open to ideas! Thinking Zara and Persis could make an interesting combo, but maybe that's one limb too far?

Opening the floor to suggestions, so feel free hit me with your best shot!

I think you've chosen two absolutely beautiful names, they sound like fairytale princesses. I don't have any suggestions right now, but I'll be back when I've put baba in bed.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I think Philippa and Vivienne are very classic and beautiful choices, I also think that they are not too trendy.
    I also like Zara because it is still a classic name but with a more modern spelling. I'm not so sure about Persis and probably would go with Primrose instead because again it still sounds very classic but is also unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by little_billie View Post
    I think Philippa and Vivienne are very classic and beautiful choices, I also think that they are not too trendy.
    I also like Zara because it is still a classic name but with a more modern spelling. I'm not so sure about Persis and probably would go with Primrose instead because again it still sounds very classic but is also unusual.
    Oh, really? I guess I've always thought of Persis as being quite classic (in the very old, Greek sense). I guess I thought they might go well as they both sound strong and fresh to me, whereas Primrose feels more.... romantic.

I really love your combos of Philippa Winter (Pipa) and Vivienne Gray (Vivi). (I personally prefer Phillipa to Philippa but really that's splitting hairs).
    I love that there is a kind of symmetry to the names, esp. with the current spelling of Philippa, that is immediately obvious and that still allows each name to shine as an independent little star.

I don't think that they the combo's sound trendy and esp once you drop the mn for every day use they come across as very classic, distinguished and elegant. I actually think that Zara is trendier. (Though basically anything with a prominent Z, X, Y or combo there-of strikes me as a potential "unique"-star at the moment). I do remember you really loving Zara as an alternative to Philippa and would probably suggest coming up with a complete second set of name that you think are more daring. That way you have them in your back-pocket and once you meet your girls you can figure out which set suits them better. It will probably help ease your mind over the next two weeks, and it gives you (and us) something fun to do while you wait for your water to break.

Did you want to keep the same mn? Or were you going to switch them up as well?
    Zara Winter
    Zara Eleanor

Isis Gray (check out how different this is from Zara but has a very similar letter pattern. Pretty cool huh?)
    Isis Jane

Minerva Gray
    Minerva Mae

Metis Gray (Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Mother of Athena - her name is so rarely used it's never even really brought up on NB.)
    Metis Viola

My favorites of these would be Zara and Metis. (Zara Eleanor & Metis Viola)
    I like them together because they are both short and pithy but with very different sounds.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)