Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vicks is not safe for babies under age two b.c it can cause them to produce too much mucus. Since their airways are far more narrow than adult airways, it can lead to resiratory distress. You can use baby Vicks, which is pretty much just lotion and what helps is you massaging her, not really the vicks, so you could at that point just use coconut oil or whatever you might have on hand.

You can use a humidifier, or try steaming up the bathroom. It also helps with congestion to take the baby out into the cool night air, or even just open the freezer and stand in front of it with her. Hope she feels better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    Vicks is not safe for babies under age two b.c it can cause them to produce too much mucus. Since their airways are far more narrow than adult airways, it can lead to resiratory distress. You can use baby Vicks, which is pretty much just lotion and what helps is you massaging her, not really the vicks, so you could at that point just use coconut oil or whatever you might have on hand.

You can use a humidifier, or try steaming up the bathroom. It also helps with congestion to take the baby out into the cool night air, or even just open the freezer and stand in front of it with her. Hope she feels better soon!
    I strongly agree with the above: viks is really not good for ANYONE who has allergies, sensitive skin, and particularly not for young babies. Hands down the best thing you can do for her is get a good vaporizer or humidifier. A wedge used to keep her slightly inclined while sleeping might also help make her coughing more productive. And of course all the milk and sleep she can get.

I gave her a warm bath today with her eucalyptus bath stuff and she was pretty calm for a good 30 minute bath. She usually hates baths, but she liked this one. It seemed to help a little bit. We took a little car ride after that, and she's been sleeping calmly since. ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Hooray for a calm and sleeping baby

I was also going to caution against the use of vicks or similar, its quite strong stuff and babies have such sensitive skin. Here is some advice from breastfeeding website I like (although I know this isn't really breastfeeding related, it is still useful information)

"Do NOT apply products containing peppermint oil, camphor or menthol on the face (especially in the nose) or chest of a baby or young child. There have been cases where the direct application of menthol or camphor products (for example, Vicks VapoRub™) to baby’s skin resulted in severe breathing difficulties or liver problems"
    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...-illness/#cold

There are a few other snippets of info, not related to BFing in the same link, maybe they'll be useful to you. Hopefully Persephone's congestion clears up soon!
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

Thanks Rin. ^_^ The bath stuff is made specially for babies and since it helped and she was calm in her bath for the first time ever, I'll just keep doing that till it clears up.

I didn't know any of that so I appreciate the info. ^_^
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014