Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gideon

25 37.31%
  • Gabriel

42 62.69%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I think Gabriel sounds a lot better.
    ♂ Ellis Christopher / Asher Estlin / Seth Joshua / Gordon Thomas / Russell Joseph ♂
    ♀ Marilyn Kay / Joanna Kathryn / Tessa Diane / Nola Elaine / Christine Ruby ♀

The responses in the thread are split almost evenly between Gideon and Gabriel, but the poll shows a larger difference. Interesting.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

their meanings

Quote Originally Posted by averelladavina View Post
    Gideon! I love the Biblical namesake (not that I don't like the angel namesake but the human one is one to strive to live up to that could be reached if you know what I mean) Gideon is also much less common.
    Even tho the original Gabriel is an angel, the name actually means, "strong man of God." It wasn't until your comment that I realized how funny that meaning actually is, seeing that an angel is not a man. Interesting.

I've often wondered where Gideon's meaning "having a stump for a hand" came about? There is, of course, more to Gideon-- "hewer, feller (of trees)" which makes sense because he became reknown for cutting down the groves of his father's gods; I think "destroyer or mighty warrior" came about just because of his reknown from the rest of his life.

If I were to choose Gideon, I'd go with the name/meaning God called/gave him: "Mighty Man of Valour."
    O Lord, our Lord,
    how excellent is thy NAME in all the earth!
    who hast set thy glory above the heavens ~
    Psalm 8:1

"Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful.. enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Matt 25:23.. We will miss you dearly, Rollo

Nadia Clarice, Adelaide Susanne
    Gabriel Patrick, Corbin Tobiah

Quote Originally Posted by saracita00 View Post
    Gideon. Easily. The sounds are unusual and fascinating, strong and manly. I've always liked it, and his Biblical story is really interesting.

On the other hand, I've never enjoyed nn Gabe at all, and as "Bree" and "Elle" names have surged in popularity, Gabriel sounds more and more like a mashup of a lot of girl names too me. Furthermore, I think that any name that starts with "gay" is asking for teasing issues. Yeah, put me down as politically incorrect, I said it. It's right up there with Huckleberry, Dicken, Woodrow and Sexton as names that I think are just way too much hassle for any kid to have to deal with, because other kids are stupid and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
    Pretty interesting perspective, actually. My husband believes that Gideon is strong and manly, of which I agree. And that's one reason why I'm not all that drawn to the name. I have more of a "softer" boy style. He likes Ezekiel, Gideon, and Gerhart; I like Gabriel, Tobias, Patrick, Oliver, Samuel etc. I'm actually not fond of all that many boy names to be honest (bc I just can't get over some of the inevitable short nicknames, Pat, Sam etc); but when I like a name, I LOVE it. (I really like the name Dickens but even tho I have an Uncle Richard who goes by Dick, I know I can't do that to a little boy this day and age!)

I've heard other ppl make the same comment about the "girl names" Gabrielle/Gabriella that you've referenced above, but I'm sure you know that those are taken from the original Gabriel and once you think about it, you realize their sounds are actually very different. It all has to do with that first "a" sound: think Gabby for a girl and long a for Gabe. I don't think of Gay at all. I even went to school with a Gabe and there was never anything said like that at all. Ever. You're actually the very first person I've ever heard it from.... but yes, absolutely, I've worked with kids for many years and "other kids are stupid and there's nothing anyone can do about it". LOL.
    O Lord, our Lord,
    how excellent is thy NAME in all the earth!
    who hast set thy glory above the heavens ~
    Psalm 8:1

"Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful.. enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Matt 25:23.. We will miss you dearly, Rollo

Nadia Clarice, Adelaide Susanne
    Gabriel Patrick, Corbin Tobiah

Gabriel is one of those names that I could never get tired of! It's truly classic and handsome. I am not always a 'classic name' fan! There is something harsh about the name Gideon in my opinion. I think it reminds me of the word guillotine.

first time mama due in january
    -proud auntie of Christian Aleksander + Lucas Anders -