Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • His

26 50.00%
  • Hers

5 9.62%
  • His-Hers

6 11.54%
  • Hers-His

15 28.85%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Which surname would you use?

My boyfriend an I have been together for 6 years and are TTC our first child. Since we're not married and don't plan on getting married, I've been thinking about the surname options for our children. We have yet to discuss this topic at length, but I'd like some extra opinions.
    If you were in our situation, what would you do?
    Vanessa
    due with first child 08/17/14

caine, calloway, clark, boyd, declan, evander, flynn, graham, heath, ian, innes, jared, kent, kieran, lawrence, lewis, linden, marcus, oscar, rhys, robert, sage, soren, wade
    anne, annika, anya, ashelia, astrid, augusta, beatrix, bonnie, catherine, cecily, clara, cordelia, della, eileen, elsa, eulalia, freya, helena, henrietta, india, jane, julia, linnea, liv, louisa, mabel, magnolia, margaret, margot, matilda, melanie, nell, rose, tallulah

I know several couples in the U.S. who swore they'd never get married, then they eventually realized the legal benefits to marriage when hard times (illness/injury, job loss) came along...and changed their minds. For this reason, I'd use the father's name.

I'd personally use the father's name because I'm not a fan of hyphens. If you do decide to hyphen, it really depends on the sound of the surnames together to pick which goes first.

Hers or His-Hers. Seriously, everybody?! Why should the kid get their father's name instead of their mother's? They're not married, and don't plan to become so. This is misogyny, plain and simple.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Hers or His-Hers. Seriously, everybody?! Why should the kid get their father's name instead of their mother's? They're not married, and don't plan to become so. This is misogyny, plain and simple.
    Misogyny? Please. Why should the child automatically get the mother's name over the father's? If a sperm donor was used, fine. But actively involved fathers deserve credit, too. The child already gets the mother's mRNA and the bond that comes along with pregnancy. And not to mention the upper hand mothers automatically have in most, if not all, states when it comes to child custody, should the relationship go awry. There is nothing wrong with giving the father something as well, and since tradition is to give the father's surname, it seems quite logical to use the father's surname. It's not like we suggested she stay at home with the child all day and give up all her dreams of a career or pursuing other goals.
    Last edited by iamamiam; August 20th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.