Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Girl Names of Latin Origin?

I recently realized that my two favorite boy names, Quentin and Silas, are both of Latin/Roman origin. I think it's a theme I'd really like to use on my kids (in the very far-away future haha), but I haven't been able to really find female Latin names that I both love and are...normal, I guess? Haha, not necessarily normal, but a name that wouldn't turn heads, but instead make people think "Darn it. Why didn't I spend more time looking for an uncommon name?"

Anyhoo, here are the girl names I'm considering (for my nonexistent daughter):
    -Pax (meaning peace. I love this, but I feel like most people associate this with boys due to the name Paxton and Angelina Jolie's son.)
    -Isidora (meaning gift of Isis. Nice name, but I kinda dislike how choppy it is, in the sense that the name really inclines you to call the person Isa, Izzy, Dora, or Dory.)
    -Verena (meaning integrity. I like this very much, but I feel like people might think it was me trying to be youneek with Serena or something.)
    -Eudora (meaning generous gift. I like this almost as much as Pax. Except that it's Greek :P)
    (I'm also not really a fan of names ending in "a" for girls, but most Latin names do. What a conundrum.)

So, any suggestions? For both boy and girl names of Latin origin actually, but specifically the female ones.

Like you said, it's a challenge to find Latin/Roman female names that don't end in a.

Some girl names that still end in a, but that feel somewhat "normal":
    Camilla
    Clara
    Seraphina

Some boy ideas:
    Crispin
    Evander
    Felix
    Seneca
    Titus

Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla

Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I like Latin/Greek names too. Love Silas and Isadora/Isidora (one of my favorites). Pax is better for a middle name (I have a cousin named Lucia Pax) Here are some suggestions (I'll star my favorites):
    Girls:
    Adria
    Adriana
    Constantina*
    Felicity*
    Rosalie
    Aurora
    Aura
    Ira
    Lux/Lucia/Lucy/Luciana
    Marceline*
    Marcella
    Marilla
    Mirabel/Mirabelle
    Orella
    Pomeline*
    Valora
    Vesper/Vespera
    Annabel/Annabelle
    Arabella
    Aurelia*
    Cassia
    Cecelia/Cecilia*
    Cecily*
    Clare/Claire
    Claudia
    Mabel
    Nora
    Helena*
    Rosalind
    Rosaline*
    Rosamund
    Sylvia*
    Viola
    Miranda
    Valentina/Valentine*
    Calista*

Boys:
    Amycus
    Aurelian, Aurelius, Aurelio
    Cassian, Cassius
    Cato (too Hunger Games for you?)
    Dante
    Gratian (means grace)
    Hadrian/Adrian
    Marcellus
    Orson*
    Revere (Virtue Name)*
    Constantine*
    Paul*
    Callum (Scottish Variant of Columba)*
    Felix*
    Julian/Julius*
    Luca/Lucas/Luke*
    Marius
    Valentine
    Augustus

I added a few weird ones because everyone's defenition of 'normal' is different. I hope that helped!
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Jane | Natalia | Isabel | Cecily | Margo | Ariadne | Marta | Petra | Eulalia |

| Dimitri | Linus | Gus | Augustus | Thomas | Jude | Basil | Samuel | Jonas | Jasper |

Pondering: | Athena | Florence | Seraphine | Alexander | Cassius | Christopher |

Have a fabulous day!