30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dana

14 46.67%
  • Odile

16 53.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dana or Odile

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    Good to know! But I think she'd be in for a lifetime of correcting people.
    Perhaps, though for whatever it's worth I read O-dee-leh (from midwest and west coast US). There is a throwaway "uh" or "eh" sound after the L.
    Odile pronunciation: How to pronounce Odile in French

OP, I agree with mischa precisely; she beat me to it! May I also suggest Ottilie.
    One little born 1/14

Odile, it's such a beautiful and lovely name. Dana is nice too, but it makes me think of Agent Scully
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Odile was my grandma's name, so I have to pick that one. :-)

Dana seems so dated to me. Every Dana I've known is 30 or more (and I've had two roommates by that name).
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

No question: Odile. Dana is boring. Odile is fresh and fun.

I think Odile is pretty, but the pronunciation could be an issue. Dana is much less interesting, but its familiar without being at all popular for little girls.

Odette would be gorgeous!
    Inkling (28), strong single Mama of two mischievous kidlings: Lady Bug (7) & Baby Bear (4)

I'm a full-time Supermom and part-time Author, currently on the hunt for a new Pen Name to keep my past out of my future--something strong and edgy to symbolize my new start in life...