Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surname help??

Surname help??

So my SO and I are planning on getting married, probably in about 2 years when I'm done with grad school and things are a little more stable.

We've decided we want to change our surname. There are a lot of reasons for this. He isn't close to his family (as in, they don't talk... don't ask.) and he doesn't feel a lot of connection to his family name because of this. I've never really cared for my surname, but I also don't really care for his either. I'm also a big feminist and I probably wouldn't change my name to his anyway, but hyphenating causes a lot of problems with the future kids, blah blah. So long story short, we're creating a new family with a new name. It's an unusual one, but since we've decided I've heard about more and more people doing it, and it just feels like the right one for us.

It's obviously early and we have some time, but we've started tossing some names around. We both have German heritage, love to travel and read.

We've discussed Beckett and Dietrich, but the only one we've seriously considered is Rainer. I'm from Seattle and I love the rain, and there's apparently a character he loves with the surname Raynor. The fact that it's German makes it even better.

I know this is long and not everyone will agree with our choice, but does anyone have any suggestions/ideas? I love the berries, so I hope you'll help!
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

If it is something you feel strongly about, then I would go for it. You two will be creating a whole new family together, and if you want to leave his past behind, then starting fresh with a new name could be perfect.

And of all your choices, I like Rainer the best too!
    Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla

I've actually considered this, too. I think its a really neat thing to do with someone you love; you're creating your own family after all. I don't really understand why society doesn't work like this already: Two people meet, fall in love, get married and pick (or combine, like Smith and Hail would become Sail) their own family name, since they're staring their own family, after all.

I think Rainer is an awesome surname, and it just seems to fit into both of your lives perfectly. I love the rain too; its soothing and beautiful, as well as life giving. What better word to use when spending a life together?

I'm also a feminist. lol
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Personally I love the idea of a new surname for both of you, you're both going to be changed by marriage after all, and your family is new together.

But, don't slap me, I'd personally go Rain/Rayne/Raine over Rainer. I just like short last names, I've never had a 1-syllable one but I like the idea! But Rainer is perfectly usable and pleasant.

I would just consider if for example all your favourite baby names would sound weird, like Winter/Asher Rainer or whatever. You have a number of -er names on your favourites list is why I mention it.

I checked my genealogy records and the best German names are Lorenz (a first name, but I love it),Albrecht, Brinker, Reed (evolved from Ried), Dietz, Rhiem, Thuringer, Vandiver/Vandivear, Waldenburg, Ziegler. There are many more, but I don't find them to be very attractive or they're overly common. Too bad you're not looking for a French name!
    Last edited by rkrd; August 19th, 2013 at 01:35 AM.