Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surname help??

Rainer is fantastic! I love it as a first name and I love it for you as a surname. It has a striking sound and a strong meaning. Use it!

Personally, I'm an academic and have already published under my name, so even if I ended up with a man it wouldn't be practical for me to change it (I'm queer). Not that I ever would -- my name is who I am. My ex and I did talk about creating our own surname, which I would take as a middle name and which we would give our children.

Of the couples in my friend group who have married, most either kept their own names or chose a new surname. Not a single woman I know has changed her name. I see this as a very positive trend. Perhaps we've finally arrived in an age of compromise, not sacrifice and domination, when it comes to marriage.

Some other options for you:

Dexter -- I really like this as a surname for some reason
    Adler -- a la Irene Adler of Sherlock Holmes
    Beck -- Sleek, German, and goes with just about everything
    Fabel -- Phonetically similar to 'fable', another literary reference
    Gable -- I just think this is a great surname
    Errol -- Means 'to wander'
    Booker -- Speaks for itself
    Lewis or Clark -- Connotations of travel, naturally
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I don't have suggestions, but I just want to say I think it is awesome that you are changing your name together. I wish my SO were up for that.

Wow, I am totally blown away by everyone's support! Thank you so much!

stripedsocks- Raine is a little too literal for me, I think! We also live in Northern California, so there's always the hippie factor as well.

rkrd- Of your list, I like Albrecht, Reed and Dietz. I also wish we were looking for a French name! They're so romantic, but my SO is set on a German one. :/

Augusta_lee- Your friends sound fabulous! I just read that only 26% of women actually keep their names in the US, so you have quite progressive friends. Of your list, I like... actually I like them all! But Booker and Beck would probably be unusable for us. Unfortunately, because Booker is such a great name! I love the suggestions of Errol and Lewis and Clark.
    - current loves -
    Harriet - Flora - Violet - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Milo - Frederick - Dashiell - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theo - Harrison - Jack

Have you heard the NPR show about combined new surnames? I love it.

The Rock-Singers! The Star-Powers! Then Ms Lovely married Mr Hooker.

I like Rainier, by the way.

I like Rainer.

Some other German ideas:
    Adler (second this!)
    Beringer
    Bosch
    Engel
    Falk
    Gerhard
    Hirsch
    Linden
    Ritter
    Tolkien (double whammy, German and literary!)
    Wagner
    Weber

Good luck!