Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm sorry Maybe you can make it more of a game. Other berries have some great advice on getting your guy involved in more than vetoing. Setting up brackets like for sporting events with each one of you offering a certain number. Making it a rule that 1) you have to give a reason for vetoing and 2) every name you veto you have to replace with another suggestion. etc.
    Don't worry! You'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by alexroet View Post
    PS- what does it mean when nameberry highlights different names in different colors? (blue vs orange)
    Orange means there is both a male and a female entry for the name. Blue means there's only a male entry.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I love Otto, to be honest. But I would hate it if my guy absolutely loved and insisted on a name that I hated.

That being said, is your husband actually researching names on his own time? Or are you the one doing all the searching and suggesting? I think he needs to do as much researching as you are. Like really, if he shoots everything down that you love PLUS he's not doing much researching, then its just not fair at all.

Do either of you like Julius, Jules, or Julian? It reminds me of Otto and Charles.

Other suggestions (that I think would fit both of your styles):
    Oscar
    Bruce
    Bruno
    Felix
    Leon
    Ezra
    Dexter
    Rigby
    Rosco or Ross
    Mordechi
    Malachi
    Ike or Iker
    Rufus
    Ronan
    Titus or Tydus
    Tobin
    Angus
    Marcus
    Jax
    Tito
    Declan
    Blane
    Camden
    Tristan
    Aaron
    Drake or Draco
    Drax or Dax
    Blair
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of making a bracket or game out of it. I think that's what's frustrating to me- I do a lot of the "research" and then he just shoots it down. If I ask him for ideas he thinks for a few minutes and throws a few things out- but usually they're like names of players in the baseball game on tv, etc, and totally unrealistic ("no honey, we are not naming the baby Derek Jeter Markowski"). So I kind of feel like I do the "work" and have reasons for what I like/don't like, and then he shoots them down but doesn't offer much in return. If he felt really strongly about something it would be different.

Then you need to give him some websites or a baby name book and tell him what you just said. Tell him why it upsets you and why you're getting frustrated and that you don't think he's putting in as much effort as you are. Like really, if he wants as much as a say in the name, he should be putting in as much effort as you are in looking for one.

When I say give him some websites, I mean writing a list of websites down, and give him a baby book, too, right when you tell him why you're upset by this, so he can't say "Okay I'll do it later" and then never does it. You could also give him those little colored post it marks so he can mark pages of names he likes. Each color can mean how much he likes the name, and later when you look it over, you can write down the ones you like too. Then you both can discuss why you like them.

It'll mean a lot less resentment from you and more harmony for you both, making name picking more of a fun time than a frustrating one.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

I'm usually a total fan of having a name one parent loves instead of compromising on a name you both feel meh about.
    I genuinely would recommend in a case like this that one get the middle name and one get the first name, so that if the child dislikes their first name, they have another naming style to fall back on.
    However, in this case you want the first and middle name... So I may save Otto for another child (if any come along).

I know it's rough because I also have a distinctive taste in names that may be hard for others, but I just came to the conclusion that he could name the sons first names (I give them middles) and I would name the daughters first names (he gives them middles)... and I plan on adopting too so I'll be guaranteed to have at least one of each.
    I think forcing both a first and middle may be too much. So I would keep my love of Otto... but for another time.