Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Helllllp! Can't agree on a name!

I'm due with our first baby in December and my husband and I can't agree on a name. Basically he thinks everything I like is "too weird" and I think everything he likes is too plain/boring. Not BAD names, just nothing special.

Our last name is Markowski. We haven't discussed middle names but I'm hoping for Jenks (it was my middle name until I changed it when I got married, my grandmother's maiden name, and the name of my mom's baby before me who died).

I have my heart set on Otto. I think it's perfect. It's a real name (as in, not made-up). Short, easy to spell/pronounce. No crazy nicknames (that I can think of). Flows well with Markowski. And it's adorable!! My only concern is I guess it's a little "out there", but I love it. I do not want a trendy name. Or a boring one. I like traditional, but not super common.

He hates it. Wants nothing to do with it. Thinks I must be joking. He says it's a dog name. Or worse, he says it's a nazi name. I think part of the issue is he's afraid his mom won't like it, but frankly I don't give a crap what his mom thinks.

The thing is, there's no name he feels strongly about. He's mentioned Ian and Blake, which I don't like. The only ones we agree on at all are Owen, which I love but it's getting way too popular, and I think is too Irish for Markowski, and Charles (Charlie). Which is a perfectly fine, good, solid name- but kind of plain and nothing special.

I also like Otis, Hugo, Milo, Theo, Hugh, Jenks (call him Jack), Henry (but too popular), Linus.... He hates them all.

I'm being stubborn I know, but I can't see myself being happy with anything but Otto. He says I'm being selfish by forcing a name on him that he doesn't like. I say the baby should have a name that ONE of us loves, rather than a compromise we both feel "meh" about.

Does anyone have advice in how to get him to come around? Or meet in the middle?

Otto is not an easy name to like. It sounds like your husband has a genuine distaste for it, not just some random vague impression, and you should try to bring yourself to respect that: how would you like it if he insisted that the only name he could possibly use was something that you really hated? Keep exploring for now.

Oliver
    Arlo
    Blaine
    Caleb
    Adrien
    Axel
    Reid
    Adam
    Luke
    Marek
    Dominic
    Griffin
    Jonah
    Seth

I agree with previous post. I don't think its good to force a name on your partner. Can you imagine if he did that to you with a name you hated? He has a genuine reason to be upset seeing as it is his son too.

Why don't you each make a list of names you like and then give to each other to rank in order of who you like them. Or reasons why/why not you like them.

Or if you find it frustrating, take a break from names for a while. And then come back when tensions are gone.
    Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla

If you both like Owen, maybe you'll like...
    Weston
    Easton
    Emmett
    Wilson
    Kade
    Kai/Kye(pronounced k+eye)
    Parker
    Gray/Grey
    Blaine
    Anderson
    Jamison
    Mitchell
    Marshall
    Dimitri
    Porter
    Brighton
    Tobin

I LOVE Charles...it sounds so handsome. But you might consider Oscar, Arturo, Olivier, Orlando, Othello (could use Otto as a nn), Ottawa (Otto), Orion, Ozias, Osiris, Overton, Ogden, Oxford or Odin.