Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MC Discussion

MC Discussion

I don't know about you, but naming my number one main character is the hardest thing to do. It often takes me a while, sometimes a whole month or two before I can find that perfect name. And the villain is next.

But what I want to know is how you come up with your MC's name and how you go about finding it.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Delphine | Saoirse Elaine
    Astra Gillian | Rose Morgana | Irene Lourdes | Danae Andromeda

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Gareth Evan | William Thierry
    Edmund Abraham | Wendell Eleazar | Shepherd Phoenix

I find a picture of someone that looks similar to my main character, and think about how I would name that person in the picture. Once I come up with a few, I think about the personality of my MC and then see which of the names match the best. If that doesn't work, I just find another picture and the process repeats!
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

The names usually just come to me. Occasionally I'll go and read a few lists on Behind the Name and see if anything leaps out at me. I recently had another idea for a book, I was searching for the main characters name when I came across Eckhard. It means 'edge' which is perfect for the story so I decided to use that as a surname. Then I was discussing the names I'd made up for my world and in telling her about the new story she suggested Eli as a name. I'd been thinking about how I didn't currently have a twist on William and then - like lightning- Elliam Eckhard was born.

Basically I don't put a lot of fuss or faff into it. I just let the names come to me or I go in search of them.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

When I write (which is not very often), I will usually ask my younger sister to give me a random list of 50 names she thought of, and then I will pick a few off that list and give some different diminutives and alternatives for each name I picked. Then I will think about if the names match the main character, and then I'll go on Nameberry. Which seems like a lot of work for a one-page short story I'm just going to stick in the paper shredder later.
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

I actually come up with a name and THEN fit a personality around the name. I come up with the name by looking on Nameberry and finding a name that I would want to read about. It's quite simple actually.
    Erin (Writer, Nerdfighter, Ravenclaw; Not expecting, just collecting)
    (Adelaide, Betty, Cassia, Georgia, Ocean, Violet)
    (Asher, Gabriel, Josiah, Oakley, Rowan, Wayland)