Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wdyt?

Wdyt?

If you were to pick up a newly published book in a bookstore and discovered that the MC's first name was Dagny, what would you think? I'm 90% certain I want to use this name for my MC, but what do you guys think of it? Set in modern times, the genre is fantasy. Thoughts?
    Last edited by redrobin; September 2nd, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Pearl | Astra Gillian | Hazel Odette
    Rose Mireille | Irene Octavia | Andromeda Neve | Phaedra Delphine

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Eleazar Maximus | Gareth Ryan
    Raphael Abram | Wendell Alder | Shepherd Phoenix

1. I'd be surprised that Dagny wasn't a boy, especially next to fluffy, feminine Layla (I get the day and night thing, but I think there're better ways of doing it)

2. I'd roll my eyes at the fact that she was a twin and would put the book down.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

I agree with renrose--Layla and Dagny don't go well together. Plus, there's the children's book series with villains named Hedy and Dagmar, so...
    Raevyn, a teenberry.
    [I will include GPs in my replies without saying so, especially in the Games forum.
    Marina, Kate, Audrey, Blossom. Talia, Monica, Ann, Lileas, Margaret, Astoria, Claudia, Beatrice, Phaedra

Finn, Cecil, Cove, Peregrine, Calix, Remus, Will, Atticus, Clarence, Jonas, Peter, Basil, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    1. I'd be surprised that Dagny wasn't a boy, especially next to fluffy, feminine Layla (I get the day and night thing, but I think there're better ways of doing it)

2. I'd roll my eyes at the fact that she was a twin and would put the book down.
    The day and night thing actually just kind of happened, I wasn't planning on their definitions to do that, and why would you roll your eyes at the fact that she has a twin? I don't understand.
    Ingrid Genevieve | Evanna Yvaine | Winifred Pearl | Astra Gillian | Hazel Odette
    Rose Mireille | Irene Octavia | Andromeda Neve | Phaedra Delphine

Damian Orion | Simon Cornelius | Eleazar Maximus | Gareth Ryan
    Raphael Abram | Wendell Alder | Shepherd Phoenix

Since the 2 names don't really fit together I'd wonder if the author was trying to make one seem boyish than the other right off the bat. Since her twin would have a feminine name, I'd find it kind of odd if that wern't the case because, while I prefer Dagny on a girl, it feels very boyish, and I have a hard time picturing it on a girly girl.

As for her having a twin, it wouldn't make me 'roll my eyes' or 'put the book back down'.

On a side note, I don't think Dagny Warren sounds the best though.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux