Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting names found at church

I was invited to go to my grandmothers church home coming and decided to go. I used to go when I was little and they all wanted to see Persephone. I looked over the children's list on the wall and noticed these names. Thoughts?

Sandrea -- san-dree-ah -- My sister is friends with this girl. I sort of like it
    Genesis
    Rogue -- I don't know if this is a boy or girl, but I find it a little strange
    Enan James -- ee-nan
    Loki -- I know this kid. His brother is Luke. I've always found it weird that his brother has a biblical name and Loki is the Norse god of mischief. I always thought it was weird on a Christian kid. (I think all god/goddess names are weird on a Christian kid but this one is particular is strange)
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Well, of course they wanted to see Persephone!!

Sandrea is interesting, like a mix of Sandra and Andrea. It's pretty.
    Genesis - I think this is pretty cool, actually, although my main association with this word is the British 60's-70's rock band with Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel.
    Rogue - I find this weird on people in general. It's like naming your child Rascal or Scoundrel.
    Enan James - nice.
    Loki - this is plain weird on a little Christian boy. I agree with you, god names are in general weird on Christians, but Loki was kind of the bad guy, so it's extremely weird.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I thought of Genesis the band too! Love that band, love Phil Collins <3

Yes, naming a Christian boy Loki is the same as naming him Hades or Osiris (Osiris really isn't evil but the Evil Egyptian god is Set/Seth and they use that name already).
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Sandrea has a pretty sound. I hadn't heard it before, so I don't know its origin, but it looks like a smoosh of Sandra and Andrea. I tend to think smooshes are sad because you lose the meaning and individuality of the "parent" names.

I'm okay with Genesis--it's not my style, but it doesn't make me cringe. Rogue and Loki, on the other hand, do. Rogue seems strange on any child (why would any parent think this a good thing?) and Loki is very strange on a Christian child. It almost looks as if they wanted his name to match his brother's--Luke and Loki--and had no idea of Loki's origin or history.

Enan James is cool. I'll have to see if I can find info on Enan--apparently it isn't in Nameberry's database.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Maybe Loki's mother has a crush on Tom Hiddleston.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine