Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by corvet View Post
    My daughter will speak ukranian thanks to her Dido (ukranian for grandpa). she also has a lot of irish background.. any suggestions with those backgrounds that are beautiful & not tooo crazy?
    I don't know of too many Russian/Ukranian names, but I found these to have Russian backgrounds, and I`ve added a list of my favourite Gaelic/Irish/names.

Natalia
    Natasha
    Larissa
    Tatiana
    Sofiya
    Sonia
    Oksana
    Zenia
    Zenina
    Zenna
    Zofia
    Agnessa
    Amaliya
    Alisa
    Anastasia
    Angelica
    Annika
    Anya
    Dariya
    Evgenia
    Irina
    Izabela
    Izabel
    Karina
    Kira
    Katya
    Lara
    Laurissa
    Lia
    Lidiya
    Liliya
    Lydie
    Madelina
    Maiya
    Melaniya
    Mila
    Nadiya
    Natasiya
    Nikita
    Odessa
    Olena
    Oleysa
    Rena
    Roksana
    Seraphina
    Tanya
    Venera

Maeve
    Bridget
    Aileen
    Aydeen
    Aoife (Ee-fa)
    Caoimhe (Kee-va)
    Brianna
    Catriona
    Eileen
    Colleen
    Orla/Orlaith
    Aveleen (traditional Irish spelling: Aibhlinn)
    Aibreann/Aibrean (ab-rawn)
    Ailish (ay-lish)
    Aine (awn-ye)
    Alana/Alannah
    Aoibheann (Eve-een)
    Aislinn/Ashling (Ashlyn)
    Brannagh
    Bronagh
    Caitlin
    Kathleen
    Kaylinn
    Cara
    Ciara (kee-ra/kee-ar-ah)
    Cassidy
    Clare
    Darcy
    Eibhleann, (Eve-linn)
    Eimear (Ee-mer)
    Fiona
    Iona
    Keela
    Kyla
    Kerry
    Kyna (kee-na)
    Maire (My-ra)
    Maolisa (mail-issa)
    Meara (meer-ah)
    Neala (nee-lah)
    Nessa/Neasa
    Niamh (Neve)
    Nora
    Una
    Riona
    Roisin (ro-sheen)
    Rosaleen
    Saorise (sear-sha)
    Shauna
    Iseult (form of Isolde)

So many great suggestioms, I had to reread them a few times to try and adjust to the pronunciation lol..

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was Fia...it's an Irish name, and I once knew an Eastern European girl who had that name. I think it may have been short for Zofia? That might be a good option for your family that includes both heritages.
    Fia can also be the nickname for Fiona, which I think is a beautiful name. Its feminine, the sound is beautiful, and the meaning is lovely, too.

Are there any Russian, Ukranian, or Irish words that you think could work as a name? Like are there any words or names you love that could work when translated to any of those? In example, Ashlyn is Aislinn in Ireland, and the word "fate" is Dolya in Russian (I could be wrong, though).
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

I like fiona, jist like I like ophelia - both remind me of feline kitty cats unfortunately. & I havent tried translating any of them, thats a idea. & I believe I said in another post I like Aislinn burt to many people in my family would connect it to a local town.

I do like the idea of Anastasia without the Ana. But im not sure if it sounds undone or people may think or say stacy instead which I dont like. I do think pronounced like 'sta-sha' or 'stas-ja' - if im even saying them correct would be cute. Wdyt?

There are a lot of ways to pronounce Anastasia, it just depends on the dialect of the speaker. On this website there are many ways to pronounce (you get a visual pronunciation and 2 audio clips for 2 of the pronunciations) but I'm sure there are many other ways. Whichever one you like you can form a nickname based on the sound.

Anaia "uh-nai-ah" or Anais "uh-nai-ihs" or "uh-nai-ees" could be nicknames for Anastasia.

Anastasia: ah-nah-stay-sz uh is the most common pronunciation, Sia "sz uh" could be the nickname.
    Anastasia: ah-nah-stah-zia is the pronunciation of Greek origin, but I like the nickname option of Zia.
    Anastaia: ah-nah-sta-ia is another Greek pronunciation, and the nickname could be Nana or Nani.
    Anastasiya: ah-nah-stah-see-ya is the most common pronunciation in Russia, and the nick could be Sia.

I think its a beautiful name, and the meaning is wonderful. "Resurrection" could be a hint to starting anew!
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen