Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

russian/ukranian & irish girl name suggestions ?!

My daughter will speak ukranian thanks to her Dido (ukranian for grandpa). she also has a lot of irish background.. any suggestions with those backgrounds that are beautiful & not tooo crazy?

The first thing that came to mind was Fia...it's an Irish name, and I once knew an Eastern European girl who had that name. I think it may have been short for Zofia? That might be a good option for your family that includes both heritages.

Irish: Aisling (Ashlin spelling is also acceptable, though less beautiful), Brigid, Flannery, Aoife (Eve), Mab, Maeve/Maeva, Mairead, Niamh or Neve, Nola, Oona, Orlaith, Deirdre/Deirdra, Cliona, Quinn, Saoirse (Sorsha), Siobhan, Roisin, Sheila, Sinead, Teagan, Tierney

Ukrainian (many of these are variations of Russian names; they tend to replace y with i, though I find these spellings less attractive): Anastasiya/Anastasia, Dariya/Daria, Hanna, Katerina, Irena, Lilia, Natalia/Natalya, Svitlana/Svetlana, Tamara, Oxana, Vira, Valentyna/Valentina
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

miranda, writer
    history enthusiast/buff and self-proclaimed fangirl

rafael • adrian • emmett • aaron • jared
    raynor • niccolo • richard • philip

ingrid • sybil • evelyn • amalia • cosima
    helena • leonor • blanche • florence

Elena comes to mind as a really pretty Russian name with less of a dramatic flair than Anastasia & Tatiana. I think it wears well on a girl of any nationality in 2013. Fiona is a pretty Irish name that is recognizable in the states that also feels very 2013 for me. Both names would be easily pronounced by the other culture because of the similar sound structure. So if you want an Irish name that Dida could easily pronounce, this might be a good choice.

I also think that Lana & Nina & Anya are sweet. I think there's an Irish spelling of Anya that shares the Russian pronunciation, but I'm not sure what it is. Good luck!

Kira springs to mind, since it is Russian but phonetically the same as the Irish Ciara/Keira.