Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

"Jennifer Effect"

When a restaurant or vacation spot is described as "popular" that's usually considered a compliment right? Yet in the world of baby names, "popular" has become the least popular designation around.

How do you feel about using a popular name? Is there a cut-off point when popular becomes too popular? Would you give up on a name simply because too many other people were using it or is that irrelevant to you?

Would you use a name in the top 10? top 50? top 100? top 500? Or would you avoid one that's on the SS list altogether? Do you draw a distinction between popular and trendy? Where do you stand?

I would not be averse to using a popular name unless it was trendy only within one generation. So I'm fine with Elizabeth, but I wouldn't use Sophia. I prefer not to use a name that's in the top 25 at all, preferably not in the top 50, but to me there is a big different between classic and trendy names.

Quote Originally Posted by ruefossette View Post
    I would not be averse to using a popular name unless it was trendy only within one generation. So I'm fine with Elizabeth, but I wouldn't use Sophia. I prefer not to use a name that's in the top 25 at all, preferably not in the top 50, but to me there is a big different between classic and trendy names.
    THIS! Except I'm even okay with trendy as long as it has historic relevance. I'm okay with Sophia or Emma (would likely never use them but can appreciate them as beautiful names) but really dislike names like michaela or Chloe.
    Mama to Daphne Lane

Girls: Celia, Willa, Mabel, Mae, Maeve, Gwyneth/Gwendolyn (Gwen), Vivienne (Vivi), Audrey, Annabel, Adair, Liv, Grace, Thea, Eloise, Maggie, Rosalie (Rosie), Zara, Sloane, Aria, Middles: Reverie, Bellamy, Mirabel, Winter

Boys: Griffin, Grant, Ford, Rafferty, Zane, Boyd, Bry, Harrison, Gavin, Layton, Warren, Lane, Hayes, Wilder, Holden

Quote Originally Posted by jo1654 View Post
    THIS! Except I'm even okay with trendy as long as it has historic relevance. I'm okay with Sophia or Emma (would likely never use them but can appreciate them as beautiful names) but really dislike names like michaela or Chloe.
    Chloe and Michaela both have historical relevance, so I'm not quite sure what the difference is between them and Emma and Sophia.

For me popularity comes in two categories 'trendy' and 'classic'

If I was given a trendy name like Nevaeh I would literally hate it. Most likely go with my filler middle name that a child most like named Nevaeh would get. But if I was a name like Elizabeth I would be fine, actually really happy because Elizabeth is stunning! Nowadays I really do believe that their are two types of Jennifer effects the 'trendy' and the 'classic' the trendy is just yuck the classic is great, as classics names are always fantastic and will always be amazing.