Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Irish ladies here? What would you think of a baby named Fianna?

I'm liking Fianna as an alternative to Fiona, but I was wondering how it would be perceived by Irish people since its also the name of a political party over there... Is it still used as a girl name in Ireland? Or is it just used by foreigners?

Also, how would everyone here pronounce Fianna?

Thanks!

I don't live in Ireland, but I scanned some recent popularity lists in Ireland and I haven't seen it at all in at least the last five years.
    I would pronounce it fee-AH-nuh.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

Yeah, I'm starting to think we'll be taking this name off our list... I definitely want a 'legit' name for our baby, not one that will just look like a misspelled version of Fiona to most people... Oh well...

I definitely think it's a legitimate name, but perhaps in Ireland it's simply very dated, or too associated with the party. I read a book once where there was a minor (Irish) character named Fianna - it was set in the early 1900s. Though it doesn't sound like you live in Ireland - so that's not a problem.
    I lot of celebrities and people I've met are using Hebrew names like Zipporah or Zahava, thinking them interesting, new, and trendy. In reality, there isn't a Zahava in Israel under the age of 85. Knowing this, it's a little irksome, but especially if you don't know or will be associating with many bonafide Irish people, it shouldn't be too much of a concern.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by saracita00; January 18th, 2014 at 06:27 PM.