Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool Carefree 2 Usable Hippie Names

I know we've had threads before covering hippie names, but those were more like games. I really am discovering how much I like names that could be considered carefree or "Hippie" that either have nature connotations or musical ones, or just have really bouncy, playful sounds to them. Problem is I don't know that many.

Super hippie names I like:

• Chrysanthemum - I've always loved this name, since I was a young girl. They're beautiful flowers with a sunny aura.
    • Zen - Love this for a boy. It would really make sense with the guy I'm with.
    • Rain - Love this for a boy; rain always relaxed me and fascinated me.
    • Poppy/Posy - Very cute and playful.
    • Indigo - Like the sounds of this name, especially the nn Indie or Indio. I kinda like this more for a boy. Plus it makes sense with the guy I'm with.
    • Gypsy - I like its adventurous, boundless, fearless meaning. Its very Bluesy to me, and I love that. But I don't think I have the right to use it, since it would be seen as a slur to some and can be considered cultural appropriation.
    • Andromeda - Chic & adventurous. I like the nickname Andie, but I don't think it gives the full name justice.

Names that could be considered hippie (I guess?), but are more usable:

• Zoe - I've always loved this name, and it really means a lot to me. Is it silly it was my most beloved dog's name?
    • Sunniva - Love this name, especially the Sunny feeling as well as its exotic feel. I also like the Scandinavian connection (I'm Swedish and love Norse mythology).
    • Ramona - Its edgy and hip, but its not my most favorite.
    • Nanami - Love this; its different, chic, with great sounds. I could actually use this, as the guy I'm with is half Asian, his step-mom & half-brothers are Japanese.
    • Felix - I used to really like this name. I still think its cool, and I like the meaning a lot. I don't like the nn possibilities, though.
    • Sansa - Very beautiful and exotic.
    • Laszlo - Playful and unique.
    • Wynona - Its bouncy but not as awesome as Nanami.
    • Aurora / Ora - It's a beautiful name, but its not as unique as the others. I like Ora better.
    • Margo - Its edgy and hip like Ramona, but I like the sound better, as well as the meaning.
    • Mylo - Very sweet, caring, and adventurous. It has the same feel to me as Rain or Zen.

And names that I'm not sure whether they'd be considered hippie/out there, or whatever:

• Philomena - One of the most beautiful names I've ever seen. Its magical and legendary, but also earthy, to me.
    • Sebastian - Adventurous and strong, but also kind and thoughtful.
    • Titus - Same as Sebastian, but I like the way it sounds more. I like the nickname Ty.

I have no idea. My favorites in particular are in bold.

What are some names you think are considered
    1. Carefree & Definitely Hippie
    2. Can be Hippie, but are usable

Last edited by liviajoan; August 18th, 2013 at 04:26 AM.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Chrysanthemum - Very sunny name. I like Crisanta (which is related) too. And Chrysanthe.
    Zen - I don't really like this unless you're Buddhist? Feels a bit... Pier 1 Imports to use for no reason, iykwim. But if it relates to your spirituality that's fine. I do like Zane and Zev and Zvi and find short Z names very appealing.
    Rain - I love this too, but tend to think of it for a girl. I like it as a middle name, it's much fresher than other one-syllable names like Grace or James.
    Poppy/Posy - I like Posy, I don't like Poppy. Posy I like as a nickname, too, for Mariposa or Josephine.
    Indigo - I like this a lot. I do think of the flowers as much as the colour - wild indigo is a very beautiful plant. I like it for a girl, don't hit me!
    Gypsy - Creeps me out as a given name, sorry.
    Andromeda - I love this. It's on my list too! But while my husband likes Andi, I like Rommie.

Zoe - I like Zara and Xanthe more. But Zoe does have a beautiful meaning, "life." I do like a couple other names that mean that more, though, like Viveca, Vivien, and Asha.
    Sunniva - This is really pretty.
    Ramona - I adore this but I can't use it, which makes me sad. It's really lovely.
    Nanami - I prefer Naomi.
    Felix - I like Felix a lot, but as far as "happy" names for boys, I like Asher and Isaac more.
    Sansa - I think of Game of Thrones and that character was a bit of a nitwit, at least in the books.
    Laszlo - Prefer Lazarus or Lazar.
    Wynona - The Winona spelling looks better to me. Very cute. I have an issue with y's in the middle of names unless absolutely necessary.
    Aurora / Ora - I do like Aurora, but I don't find it particularly hippie. I like a lot of mythology/goddess names.
    Margo - I like the spelling Margot or Margaux better. I know the Nameberry blurb on Margaux is very dismissive but I've found French speakers who disagree and find it a valid variant.
    Mylo - Not a big fan but a lot of Berries love it. Prefer Miles.

And names that I'm not sure whether they'd be considered hippie/out there, or whatever:

Philomena - Pretty. I know somebody who has a baby by this name. The mother is, yes, a bit of a hippie.
    Sebastian - A bit popular to feel hippie to me, I knew too many for that alternative feel. Still a nice enough name. I love Samson more, but my husband loves Sebastian.
    Titus - I like Ty, but not Titus. Makes me think of Titus Andronicus.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    Margo - I like the spelling Margot or Margaux better. I know the Nameberry blurb on Margaux is very dismissive but I've found French speakers who disagree and find it a valid variant.
    I know a girl named Margaux and her mother was completely French. Her appearance definitely showed her French roots and this particular spelling suited her much better than Margo or Margot. Plus, I can't get over the spelling of Margot - the second syllable always trips me up and I always feel like I need to say Mar-GOT.
    ♡nadia♡
    a teenage writer and long-time name junkie

Favorites:
    BOYS: Tate | Bo
    GIRLS: Helena | Natalia | Aura
    CURRENT NAME CRUSHES: Violet | Luna | Cosette | Ezra

Helena Jane | Tate William | Natalia Persephone

Quite a few of my favorite names are on this little list: Zen {b}, Poppy, Indigo {b}, Nanami, Felix, Sansa, Sebastian.

I also really like these names mentioned - Rain, Andromeda, Sunniva, Ramona, Laszlo, Winona, Margo, & Philomena.

Edit: Forgot suggestions/more ideas:

GIRLS
    Eulalie/Eulalia
    Bluebell
    Zenith
    Rui - (ROO-ee) ; it has the spunk of names like Rue and Zoe, is foreign, but not too hard to wrap one's head around sound wise. Means "gem life"
    Xanthe
    Suzume - Japanese, means "sparrow!" Plus Suzu is a cute and snappy nn.
    Petal
    Endellion
    Zinnia
    Mauve
    Evelune
    Nayeli
    Juniper
    Paz
    Reverie
    Saskia
    Alma
    Oceane

BOYS
    Nadir
    Rainier
    Hollis
    Iker
    Valor
    Noble
    Prosper
    Topaz
    Flint
    Oleander
    Ruby
    Garnet
    Jericho
    Akira
    Marlon
    Isshin
    Last edited by pacifica; August 18th, 2013 at 06:25 AM.
    Everly Anais | Maren Astoria | Paloma Winter | Vita Olivine | Xanthe Lyra | Cleo Viviana | Gemma Eulalie | Ione Catalina | Lux Isadora | Elettra Phoebe | Delphine Kaia | Hesper Valentina | India Eleri | Juniper Zara | Ivy Atalanta

Harlan Rafferty | Lorcan Barnaby | Soren Felix | Atlas Tyrion | Zephyr Sebastian | Oberon Leo

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

GIRLS
    Eulalie/Eulalia - A cute name, but it reminds me of a friend I had a huge falling out with.
    Bluebell - I like Blue.
    Zenith - I think Zen is odd enough on its own lol
    Rui - I love the pronounciation, but the spelling would confuse people. I love the nickname Roo.
    Xanthe - I couldn't name my child this.
    Suzume - Super cute, playful, and Su or Suzie are definitely wearable. I love this.
    Petal - Very frilly, to me.
    Endellion - I've always loved this. I thought it would be the perfect sibling with Philomena.
    Zinnia - I loved this for a long time. I love Z names.
    Mauve - Its just not very fun.
    Evelune - I've never been a fan of Eve names.
    Nayeli - Cute but I don't know.
    Juniper - I think I prefer Juno way more. I've actually fallen back in love with Juno.
    Paz - Makes me think of Pez; I prefer Pax better.
    Reverie - Very interesting, neat, rebel-y. But its not my favorite.
    Saskia - I love the sound of the name, and its origin, but "knife" is pretty violent lol
    Alma - Just reminds me of an old woman.
    Oceane - I would prefer it if it were pronounced oh-shee-an-ah

BOYS
    Nadir - Nada.
    Rainier - I never figured out if it was pronounced as rain-ee-er or rain-er. Rainer is cool.
    Hollis - A creep with this last name stalked me.
    Iker - Ike is not to my like-ing.
    Valor - This is more macho meathead to me. No offense!
    Noble - No
    Prosper - I'm just not a fan of most virtue names.
    Topaz - The only stone name I would accept on a boy is Jasper.
    Flint - Reminds me of a middle aged man.
    Oleander - I like Olly. But I'm Olivia and I go by Ollie lol I don't like -ander names.
    Ruby - I think this is cuter on a girl.
    Garnet - See Topaz
    Jericho - A badass name, but the nickname Jeri wouldn't be very cute. And my Aunt Jeri wouldn't like it too much.
    Akira - I think this sounds cooler on a girl, even though traditionally its for a boy.
    Marlon - the fish
    Isshin - Isshin for Marlon

Girls names I like in the carfee, hippe style.

Blythe. I agree, Blythe and Zen do make sense!
    Wren. Wren is a cute alternative to Raven. I love it.
    Eden. I can only think of Toddlers & Tiaras.
    Willow - I used to love this, when I was much younger. I like names that end with -oh!

Boys names I like in the carefree, hpie style

River - I've liked this name, but I love Rain more.
    Pax - Zen and Pax would make good sibling names. I think they could both work as unisex.
    Asher - I like Ash, for a girl.
    Jay - There was this weird girl who told everyone to call her Jay Jay and ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by db917 View Post
    All your names are neat, but I can't use any of them! Especially Orchid; my friend's miscarriage was named that.

Quote Originally Posted by vanessaelless View Post
    Other hippie vibing names on my list of possible girl names include Dawn, Blythe (as mentioned above), Farrah (meaning happiness) and some other way out flower names Astera, Marigold, Jessamine, Jonquil, Freesia, Dahlia, Zinnia, Lavender. I wish Honeysuckle was useable, but that's really dangerous territory! Chalk Dandelion up on the guilty pleasure list as well. I've seen word names Evening and Afternoon used as middles on here an I love their hippie feel. While I do think they are useable (and quite endearing!) Im not brave enough to use them for my own child.
    Dawn is too close to my dad's name, Donn. Farrah makes me think of the girl from Teen Mom, and she literally lives like 2 hours away from me lol. Astera would be cool in theory, same as Aspen would be, but there's the Ass issue. I love Jessamine; its super cute. I would prefer Joaquin over Jonquil. Freesia makes me think of Freeza from Dragonball Z. Dahlia is a little over dramatic, I'm sorry. Lavender has never clicked with me. Evening and Afternoon aren't something I'd ever do lol I don't like Eve names and Afternoon Delight plays in my head lol.

Fern- Fern Gully!
    Tilly- Very cute, but I think Tessa is easier to grow into.
    Ever- This is becoming a trendy name, like Eden and Avery.
    Olive- I am Olive lol
    Veda- I like the nickname Vee.
    Juniper- Again, I think I prefer Juno more.

Reed- I always thought Reid would be cute with Rowan or Rain.
    Sam- I love Sam and Max.
    Marlon -the fish is back
    Hayden- Its become very trendy.
    Talon- The Warrior Cats by Erin Hunter.
    River- I still like Rain more.

Thank you all for responding! I like hearing your own personal opinions as well as your own likes! Hopefully others who are looking for similar name styles will get good ideas from this post too!
    Last edited by liviajoan; August 19th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen