Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    We co-sleep with our daughter, but I've got her in a co-sleeper, so she's safe. It's like a cot, with walls on three sides, and she's very close by (the co-sleeper is called arm's reach).

I started a co-sleeping thread ages ago, you can find it HERE. Lots of advice and experiences.
    ^^ Agreed. That thread was really well discussed, from what I remember.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Cosleeping isn't bad as long as you are safe about it. (no duvets or pillows on the baby, a guard rail if needed). We've bought a First Years Close and Secure Sleeper for our newborn to keep him/her somewhat separate (and keep pillows away), but once that is outgrown, we'll probably just put up a guard rail. At 4 months, your baby should have much more head control which decreases the risks of suffocation (in cribs or beds). If your baby turns or starts to crawl, you'll wake up and notice instantly (as long as you aren't on drugs or something). It is just instinctual. Get a guard rail if your baby sleeps near the edge. Don't beat yourself up about it. No other mammal in the world expects its babies to sleep separate from their mothers or at least siblings, so, in my opinion, it is silly that we expect our baby to sleep in another room. We're not even buying a crib.
    Maura
    mama to
    Flannery Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by tomaura226 View Post
    It is just instinctual.
    If you're a heavy sleeper/exhausted I doubt this would be the case :/ Everyone sleeps differently.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I personally felt safer knowing she was close & I do like the arrangement but from others & family claim its bad. I orginally had the arms reach co sleeper as well! For some reason I always worried she woulf rol over in it or get a blanket in her face & she didnt sleep as well in it either so we just started sharing my bed.. it is a tempurpedic so in a way not board firm but its the firmest bed they made. She is so rested when she wakes up all smiles & full of energy. I just think all this modern day stuff has me worried, I mean we made it past her youngest days like you guys said - her grandma just keeps telling me what if you dont wake up the one time she crawls off is now embeded in my head.

We still have a family bed with my very mobile 1.5 year old. Now that I'm weaning it's becoming difficult for us, but her crawling and walking was fine. Our bed is low and we have a bed gate that gets tucked between the bed & mattress & anchored on the other side. So I could move her from one side to the other while breast feeding and either the gate or her Papa blocked her from rolling. She has yet to leave the bed in the night. I should mention that our bed room doesn't have anything in it that she would find very exciting so that might be part of why she stays put. We just have our belongings & no toys.

She has her own bed room that we do naps in and she plays in as well. It's a small room with a memory foam mattress on the floor and no box spring. We put karate studio mats down on the floor and have a soft fabric basket full of soft stuffed toys. I've put her to sleep in here and she won't make it through the entire night, but it's good to have a space that she likes for solo sleep & in general. It's also possible to set something like this up in a larger space if you surround it with some kind of enclosure. At any rate, if you don't think you want to go the route of using a crib you don't have to. You can breastfeed and sneak away without having to move her into another space. You just need to create a non-crib space that's safe to leave her in. It's been working great for us and now that I'm weaning her I think that we will be putting her down to start the night in her floor-bed room more & more.