Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pronouncing Megan

So today I was watching a youtube vlog by a girl named Lindsey, who has a sister named Megan.
    I realize we pronounce Megan differently.
    I've always said Megan as MAY-gen, and Meg as MAY-g
    She says Mehg-en, with a short e, and Meg the same way (w/o the -en, obviously)
    How weird am I, right? Is this a regional thing?
    How do you pronounce Megan? What is your general location (if you feel comfortable sharing)? South? East Coast? Mid-West? England or Australia or where ever else you berries might be?
    Lol, It's been driving me insane to think about!
    →teenberry←
    you can call me gail

□cecilia, kay, agnes, rosemary "rosie"□
    ■george, philip, thomas, bruno, james, joseph■
    ◊guilty pleasures: della, philomena, magdalene, sullivan, caspar, mack, franklin◊

I say (and have heard) it both ways. The soft e pronunciation seems to be a bit more prevalent in the US, and you know, I've not heard the name very much in other places.

I've never heard Meg pronounced with a hard a, though. Only ever with the soft E. Even if that person pronounced Megan as MAY-ghen.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

I'm in Texas. I pronounce Megan as "mehg-en" and Meagan as "may-gen".
    Last edited by mom2luka; August 18th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
    Currently Loving:
    Rosemary, Ivy, Juniper
    Fox, Griffin

Growing up in Britain all the Megan's I knew were Welsh and pronounced it 'Meg-Ann' or Meg-uhn, I only encountered the Meee-gahn pronunciation on American TV.

Now I know some Australians who say one and some the other!
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

Megan = meh-gin
    Meg = mehg

*Though, with my accent, may vs. meh isn't all that different. I'm still not even sure if you'd think I was saying ay or eh?
    Last edited by pacifica; August 18th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
    Top 5's
    ♀: Viveca Eulalie | Leonie Jemima
    ♂: Harlan Rafferty | Ozias Everett | Archer Lorcan | Ciaran Barnaby | Hector Malachy