Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexandra nn Alex

28 77.78%
  • Samantha nn Sam

8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I prefer Alexandra (actually alexandria, but Alexandra is lovely), but I would push for Lexa, Allie, or andie for a nickname (I don't love boyish names on girls but think nicknames have a lot more leeway for that, plus I like that the full name is formal and girly and the nickname provides a completely different vibe!). Like another person said, Samantha feels a little stuck, like Jessica or Lauren. I really like the sound and enjoy saying Samantha (my bf has a niece by the name, though yes she goes by Sammy or Sam which kind of bums me out)... Alexandra is really nice, and I like the more varied potential nicknames.

I have an Alex, I just cant say enough good things about this name for a girl. Love it !
    Name favorites :

Alana, Scarlett, Alexandria, Annalise, Gianna, Marcella, Kayla, Arabella, Julianna, Anastasia, Jovanna

Cole, William, Samuel, Caleb, Rylan, Roman, Grayson, Jackson, Joseph, Caden, Christian, Joshua

Because I know at least four Samanthas in my grade, I'm going to throw my vote for Alexandra. I prefer the nickname Lexie to Alex, though.

Alexandria, despite its proximity to Alexandra, gives off a different feel to me than the latter. Alexandra is overused, and feels very late 90s to me, while Alexandria has an ethereal, historical feel to it; it is the name of Danish royalty, and the ancient city named for Alexander the Great. I much prefer it to the bland Alexandra. Nickname Alex feels very masculine to me; she may or may not be a tomboy. But both Alexandra and Alexandria lend themselves to many nicknames: Allie, Lex, Lexi, Dri/Dree (for Alexandria), Andy, Ria (also solely Alexandria).

I feel similarly towards Samantha; overused and dated, plus that unattractive "man" syllable.
    Amedeo Enjolras Aristotle Leonardo Archer Olivier Mischa Liam Caspian Benedict Theodore Fitzwilliam
    Rosalie Evangeline Mirabelle Ophelia Alice Elisabeth Stella Titania Artemis Cicely Margarethe Thalia Astrid

Samantha seems dated while Alexandra seems more timeless to me.