Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I was also thinking about this the other day.
    I really dislike my surname and most last names don't really suit my first name (Bryn) so when I eventually get married, his last name has a high chance of not suiting. I wouldn't necessarily invent my own last name, but I would certainly consider choosing a new one
    One day I think I will change my last name to something else

What a coincidence seeing this was! Friends of mine,who are getting married very soon, just started looking into the process of changing their surnames for when they're married. They want to combine their last names to make a new one; so, taking the first syllable of one name and combining it with a section of the others name. Their main reasons for wanting to do this is they don't want their kids to have a surname from just one side of the family and as they are both men, there's no real way to decide which surname should prevail over the other.
    I'm pretty okay with them choosing to do this and I definitely don't think any less of them for it. I actually quite like the idea of it because it's a representation of both their families rather then just one. Plus, the name they want to change it too suits them both really well and sounds great with both of their first names.
    Cara.

Love each other, respect all life and don't run with scissors.

My husband and I did this!!! We are really happy with our decision. After looking through both our genealogies, we took his grandmother's maiden name.
    Sequoia Orion born November 2014
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Your last name is your own, and if you don't want to change it you shouldn't have to. My husband was fine with us having different last names. If he hadn't been fine with it, he'd have two options: 1. to change his last name to mine; or 2. to not marry me. It was not a mutual decision; it was my decision because it was my name. End of story. No one else gets to decide whose name you "take".

I do like the idea of combining two different surnames into one. I'm not sure how I feel about taking a totally new name for myself, but for others I like the idea of starting a new family with a totally new name. Name significance and family history isn't that important to me, though.

My SO and I are considering this! I posted a thread about it already and you can read the whole story here: Surname help?? (and share any thoughts!)

We considered combining our last names, but the mix of letters isn't ideal, and both are fairly short. You come up with weird words when you combine them, and none are extremely attractive, so we're coming up with something new that is meaningful to us.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin