Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Our little man - name response

I was wondering, have any Nameberry parents had any responses to their baby names that they have found upsetting? Our tiny monster is Rainer and I swear there's a few seconds of silence then a hastily put together weather related joke every other time we tell anyone his name.

My husband is half German so we've chosen names for our four that we thought worked in Germany and the UK - Magnus (Max), Ivo, Adela (Addie) and Rainer. He thinks it's rude but can laugh it off, and that I should too, think it's the lack of sleep making me emotional. Anyone have any idea what makes Rainer different from my other kids names?

Maybe because Rainer isn't as obviously a name as Magnus, Ivo and Adela are? I don't know. I think Rainer is a cool name. And there's a German poet named Rainer Maria Rilke, which is a really nice connection.
    Isobel Yvonne "Belle" born 2/4/14

boys: Rowan James; Tobias Levi; Gideon Daniel; Judah Stephen;

girls: Lydia Dawn ; Violet Kathrine; Clara Ruby;

Guilty Pleasures: Fable; Story; Soren; Phoenix; Astrid; Azalea;

Quote Originally Posted by joytoyoubaby View Post
    I was wondering, have any Nameberry parents had any responses to their baby names that they have found upsetting? Our tiny monster is Rainer and I swear there's a few seconds of silence then a hastily put together weather related joke every other time we tell anyone his name.

My husband is half German so we've chosen names for our four that we thought worked in Germany and the UK - Magnus (Max), Ivo, Adela (Addie) and Rainer. He thinks it's rude but can laugh it off, and that I should too, think it's the lack of sleep making me emotional. Anyone have any idea what makes Rainer different from my other kids names?
    Well, Magnus, Ivo and Adela are all familiar but unusual names. When people hear Rainer, they only think of the word rain and not the genuine German name :/ It's unfortunate but stay strong. I'd just explain every time that it's the German form of Rainier (like the Prince of Monaco - who they should have heard of).
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

People are small-minded, provincial idiots. I adore the name Rainer; it's on my long list. Your children are beautifully named. Ignore anyone who implies otherwise.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Unusual or unfamiliar names make some people uncomfortable. To offset their unease, they make jokes to break the ice. It's their way of dealing with uncharted territory. So in conclusion, I'm happy to report that it's really their problem not yours. Rainer is a great name so don't be discouraged by rude people!
    All the best,
    Mischa.