Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Using the same name as someone else?

What are everyone's thoughts: My husband and I both agreed on the name Emily for a baby girl (we aren't finding out the sex of our baby), a long time ago (years!). My cousin had a baby about 1 1/2 years ago and they named their baby Emily. Is it okay that we also name our baby Emily? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Personally if it was me, I wouldn't. I would hate to be like and this is your cousin Emily, she has the same name as you. How are you going to tell them apart? Now if you don't see each other often or if ever, then it might not be so bad. BUT others might think you copied her. You may have had the name picked out for a long time, but they don't know that.

No one owns a name so of course you can use it, but for me, personally, I wouldn't in order to avoid family drama.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

It depends how often they will see each other. My cousin used a name my sister had claimed, and my sister went ahead and used it as planned, so their daughters have the same name, and they've only met three times in for years so its never been an issue. The last time they met they actually bonded over having the same name.

If the Emilys will be seeing each other regularly, its probably going to cause a problem. But if they see each other once or twice a year (or less) then you're fine
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I agree with AmeliaWilliams. If they are going to see each other often, or if you are close to your cousin, I would choose a different name. If this is a cousin that you rarely interact with, then go ahead. I have several sets of cousins with the same name.

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by saracita00; January 18th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.