Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Vanessa?

I think Vanessa is one of those names that may be a bit dated but still has a certain refreshing quality about it. It's undeniably girly without being frilly, a little sassy and a little sweet. It sounds so soft and feminine when said. I also like the meaning and the nickname possibilities are endless, my favorite one being Nessa. I'm curious to see what your opinions are, being that it's not a name I often see discussed on this site. What do you think of the name as a whole? Would you use it on your child? My last name is two syllables, do you think a middle with one or two syllables would sound best? Any other comments are welcome. Please be as honest as possible with your answers. Thanks

I like Vanessa - it's lush, feminine, lyrical and just rolls off the tongue. It has two other bonuses: (1) a romantic literary pedigree with the Jonathan Swift poem and (2) its cross-racial and cross-cultural versatility. I think a one-syllable mn would be fine (eg. Vanessa Pearl). Vanessa was most popular in the 80's but since it didn't have the overexposure of similar names like Melissa, Jessica and Amanda, it does retain a certain freshness.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Thank you, Mischa

I really like Vanessa and the nn Nessa! Its timeless and I love it with a sweet, short, vintage middle name. Vanessa Ruby is my favorite. Or Vanessa Iris. Vanessa Pearl as mentioned by Mischa or even Vanessa Isolde (a little long, but depending on the last name it could work beautifully!)
    I think Vanessa is not so popular that she'd grow up sharing a name with hundreds of her peers, but it's still very recognizable and won't be misspelled or mispronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    (1) a romantic literary pedigree with the Jonathan Swift poem
    This was what I thought of as well! I love literary invention names. The name has staying power and hasn't been going drastically up or down the charts. When you go to explain the story of it to a little girl, it's lovely and romantic and rich in history in addition to being totally familiar. And as you mentioned, it can be freshened up with nicknames. I love Ana, Essie, and Essa as well as Nessie and Nessa.

Futurekids will have 2-syllable French surname.

Name Lust:

Oriana • Zara • Shoshanna • Damaris
    Greta • Elowen • Marina • Geneva
    Delphine • Hero • Gemma • Zora
    Zuzana "Zuzu" • Ventura • Marie-Noëlle
    Linden • Anouk • Georgiana • Juniper

Branson • Hugo • Kit • Chance • Alban
    Kingsley • Fox • Theodore • Judah